PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phoenix, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Well last Friday I drove down to Utah for the weekend to participate in the PADI Instructor Examination
    two days of fun basically, but a little stress thrown in for good measure :)

Saturday started at 7am, briefing, exams, then open water presentations and rescue scenarios, than it was back to the classroom for the second set of exams and knowledge presentations
    we had 12 people in the group so things took a while
    we didn't get done till 11:30pm.. and we were still behind schedule!!!

Sunday started at 6am, with confined water presentations and any make ups that people needed
    our examiner was an awesome guy and he gave us our grades as we were going through to lift a little of the weight off our shoulders throughout the program

I'm pleased to say I came out the other side as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor at about 12pm on Sunday
    It's been a long journey for me that started with the first time I started my Divemaster class back in 03, to last year when I finished it, and finally now finishing my Instructor course
    it's the equivalent of 3 credits of upper level classes at college just for this course, and about 9 credits for all the courses that come before.. so it's by no means a walk in the park
    I'm just glad it's done.. it's a pretty thrilling feeling :)

Thanks to everyone who kept asking me how it was going and paid an interest, it's been a fun ride
    now it's time to prepare for my first classes, and get Master Scuba Diver Trainer under my belt :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Saw that on Facebook. Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Nice one Ryan, so how did this go.

Open Water

Advanced Open Water

Rescue Diver

????

I got as far a AOW (we are talking 15 years ago that I last dived) and had about 24 hours of dives in my log book (some dives to 50m on a wreck dive in Cyprus as well as some decent night dives).

I loved the whole diving thing and would consider getting back into it again.

Well done mate.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well done Ryan, that's pretty damn cool 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, congrats :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Well done Ryan! Congrats.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Assuming it hasn't changed since I was doing it, you've got it correct so far. The ???? section continues with Divemaster, Assistant Instructor, and Instructor.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Thanks Michael, I wasn't sure if it had changed.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Congrats Ryan!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on the achievment Ryan. I know it's hard enough just to get to divemaster status. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Thanks guys

Simon, I logged 27 hours under water in July :)
    although I wouldnt mention a 50 meter wreck dive to too many people ;) especially if it was on Air! lol
    you will have the whiney diving police tell you how you should be dead blah blah blah! sounds like it was a hoot though, i love wreck diving, it's my passion

Thanks guys
    putting together my first class (probably Adv Open Water and some specialties) and working towards my Master Scuba Diver Trainer rating

13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It was a two tank dive with two decompression stops, it was an assisted dive (instructors on hand) and my bad, I just discovered it was a 40m dive (Zenobia) rather than 50.

I seriously need to think about a hobby (toying with flying atm).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

The Zenobia is an aweome wreck.. it was one of my first 'big' shipwrecks I dove on
    My dream is still the Brittanic