Packet Tracer v5 Query

Discussion in 'Networks' started by jovanis, Oct 10, 2008.

1. jovanis

jovanis Bit Poster

I cannot find out how a switcher or a router can segment a network.
    There is an option in their interface (VLAN1) but i cannot change VLAN1 to VLAN2 or VLAN3.
    It gives me other options which dont seem to be right ones.

However, I change the IP address network interface in each port, but i am not sure whether it works properly, since i cannot see a hosts through switcher or router.

2. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jovanis,

Are you a student in the Cisco Networking Academy?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  3. jovanis

jovanis Bit Poster

Yes and unfortunately my lectures dont have any idea about packet tracer, thats why i asking.
    Also the video turtorial isnt so helpful at this subject

4. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jovanis,

Are you trying to accomplish any particular Packet Tracer activity or are you just trying to figure it out?

5. jovanis

jovanis Bit Poster

I am trying to figure out how switchers and routers work in order to proceed in more advanced topics.
    I have seen the turtorial but it doesnt mention how can i do it.

So, a very good example would be a router connected to two hosts of different subnets.

Thank you for your interest.

6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jovanis,

Just so I have a frame of reference, which Cisco Networking Academy curriculum are you enrolled in?
    1. CCNA Exploration
    2. CCNA Discovery
    3. CCNA 3.1
    4. Other?

Which course within the above curriculum are you currently enrolled in?

7. jovanis

jovanis Bit Poster

why are you so interesting about my education?

8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ummmm...

Probably because your question is the equivalent of owning a car but not knowing what the steering wheel is

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

jovanis,

I am a graduate of CCNA Semester 4 in the Cisco Networking Academy program therefore I have Alumni access to the current CCNA curriculum to include the CCNA Exploration, CCNA Discovery, and even CCNA 3.1 curriculums. So by understanding which level you're at, I can try to tailor my assistance to you relative to the level that you're currently at while trying to avoid confusing you with stuff that is above and beyond the current level you're at. That's why I'm "...so interesting about [your] education..."

10. jovanis

jovanis Bit Poster

my level is low, i installed packet tracer 3 days ago.
    i dont have network programming experience, i am attending cnna 2, but i have worked as network tech nician for 2 years. Unfortunately, i cannot find help anywhere else, so i posted this topic.

also i am gracefull about your concern, and i didnt mean to offend you
    as for the car comment, it would be great if show me the wheel because i am blind at the moment

11. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

Ok lets try and keep this simple.

1. Open packet tracer and click on the switch symbol bottom left of screen. Choose one of the types of switches now displayed. The 2950-24 should suffice.
    2. Left click on the switch, then left click on the empty workspace. Your switch will now appear.
    3. Carry out the same procedure, this time choosing a couple of the generic P.Cs.
    4. Click the cable symbol (looks like a bolt of lightning), this will give you the different cable options. You will need the straight through cable.
    5. Click on the cable, next click on a P.C, choose the ethernet port. Next click on the switch again choose one of the ethernet ports displayed, any one will do.
    6. Repeat step 5 for your other P.Cs
    7. Now you will need to assign your P.Cs I.P addresses from the same network range.
    8. Left click on any of the P.Cs, choose the desktop tab, click on I.P configuration.
    9. Assign the P.C an I.P address, e.g. 192.168.1.1 press the tab key and your subnet mask will be automatically filled in for you. (if you are using classful addresses) Alternatively fill in manually.
    10. Assign a default gateway address if needed.
    11. Repeat steps 8 - 10 for any other P.Cs, ensure the other P.Cs ip addresses are from the same range.
    12. To confirm your ip information for the P.Cs choose the command prompt option and do an ipconfig.
    13. You will notice the cable colours have went from amber to green.
    14. You now have 1 broadcast domain or in effect a small network and will be able to ping between your P.Cs
    15. To ping your switch you will have to assign it an I.P address. This for now is best assigned to its default virtual lan. Otherwise known as Vlan 1.
    16. Left click on the switch and choose the CLI option for the command line.
    17. To assign the ip address to the switch. Type the following:

Switch>en
    Switch#conf t
    Switch(config)#interface vlan 1
    Switch(config-if)#ip address 192.168.1.253 255.255.255.0
    Switch(config-if)#no shut
    end the command sequence with ctl + z

18. Admire your handy work with the show ip interface brief command.
    19. The enter key will take you down one line at a time, the space bar one page at a time.
    20. show running-config will show you the script you have created.

Probably best to read a bit more of your study manuals before you try anything more. i.e connecting to the router etc.

Don't worry mate we've all been there, best of luck.

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  12. jovanis

jovanis Bit Poster

thank you

13. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

No problem.

Getting a router up and running on it isn't too much different from the switch.

Choose the 2621 model to start with as it has 2 fixed fast ethernet ports already on it as part of the chassis.
    This will allow you to connect 2 different networks together.

Connect another straight through cable from your switch to your router.

Assuming you have connected to fastethernet 0/0 enter the following:

Enter configuration dialog ? [yes/no] choose the no option, this is for the setup wizard.

Router>en
    Router#conf t
    Router(config)#int f0/0
    Router(config-if)#ip add 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0
    Router(config-if)#no shut
    End with CNTL/Z

You should now have an active link between the switch and your router.

Router#sho ip interface brief :will show you your link status at layers 1 and 2 (osi).
    Router#sho ip route :will show you the routing table.

Now that you have 1 network (broadcast domain), why not repeat the process by creating another switch and adding a couple more P.C's to that. Remember to give them a different network, say perhaps using the 192.168.2.0 /24 network this time. E.g. 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.2 for the P.Cs 192.168.2.253 for vlan 1 on the switch and 192.168.2.254 for f0/1 on the router.

Have a look now at the output of the sho ip route command and see how it differs.
    Effectively what you have now is 2 broadcast domains that have been seperated by your router, or 2 networks.

Have a play about, but i'd say any more than this for now until you are further with the course is pissing in the wind as they say. :biggrin

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.