pack of wild dogs devours croc.....

Discussion in 'Just for Laughs' started by moominboy, Oct 29, 2005.

1. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

still fail to see your point nug?!

lol! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It's no different than the comics from the 80's on. About the only ones that are truly funny are guys like Jeff Foxworthy, and Tim Allen's show Tool Time. Most of the rest simply substitute four letter words and shock value for humor. Give me comics like Bob Hope, Red Skelton, the Marx Brothers, Burns and Allen, etc.... They were truly innovative and funny. They could make you laugh without going into the gutter.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

In fairness, the two US examples I quoted above (Friends and Frasier) were both aired here just around the watershed (cue Trip asking wtf THAT is :tongue: ) and as I recall, were never prone to contain swearing or excess sexual content. I'm no prude here, but I agree that swearing or gratuitous sex in a show is hardly a substitute for good quality comedy writing such as is evident (IMHO) in both of the above examples. I know there are many examples where precisely this sort of "trick" is used to try and get cheap laughs, and for the most part, it doesn't impress me either.

However, if anyone disagrees - I've no problem with that, as you all know :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. moominboy

yeah comic writing just isn't as good anymore, friends and frasier are absolute classics though.

i think 'allo 'allo and benny hill were the last ones to get the balance of funny smut just right as it was just on the borderline but still funny!

and i really hate comics like roy chubby brown who only seem to swear and never make me chuckle..

5. ffreeloader

Don't get me wrong. There are a few comics left that I find really funny. I don't know if you guys get it there or not, but "The Red Green Show" I find to be hilarious. I also like some of the British comedies too. Fawlty Towers was excellent, and I regularly watch "As Time Goes By", "Keeping Up Appearances", and less regularly, "Are you Being Served?". I find these shows to be quality shows. I also really liked "Mr. Bean".

6. moominboy

i watch all of them too but haven't heard of the red green show.

you ever seen blackadder freddy?
    same guy as mr bean and such a timeless piece of comedy.

i agree though, very few comics nowadays still float my boat

7. ffreeloader

Yeah, I've seen it. It was OK, it just wasn't nearly as good a vehicle for Rowan Atkinson to display his unique talents. He's hilarious.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Just got around to this one. It wasn't a children's show...(but neither was Benny Hill) but no one mentioned Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. The thing aired in the late 60s and was hysterical. :tongue

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Very interesting... but not funny (Artie Johnson)

:biggrin

Not to mention Goldie's debut 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. moominboy

anyone care to enlighten us whippersnappers?

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Check this link out Moom :biggrin

It was a very funny show, one of the first in colour in the UK. It was aired about the year my wife was born 1968. You missed out mate!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)