Overheating laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by morph, Jul 1, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

Well i have an old HP easynote M5255 - it seemed to start shutting down for no reason occasionaly - if it was running on battery or mains - it wouldnt lose power it would just turn of and i could see the mains light still lit. So i installed everest = and the cpu tempratures hitting round about 50 - i'm wondering if this is the ovbious problem to whats happening?
    any thoughts ?
    and how do i cool a laptop down ?? i aint never stuck a new fan in a laptop - fiddley or should i just realise its old and will have trouble running football manager *cough* :)

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Tried a laptop cooler?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Get your vacuum cleaner and gently hoover round all the vents on the side and base (with the laptop off, probably a bit of dust build-up).

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Another vote for getting the vacuum cleaner and sucking the dust out.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree:thumbleft

Although it could also be a faulty fan or tempature sensor?

The following link shows the fan and heat sink taken from HP easynote M5255 if you can't fix it at least you know where to order the parts for it!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  6. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Obviously try everything else first.

HP's are well know for heat exchange issues. The main issue is that there is normally a gas, i believe, in the copper tubes from the cpu plate to heat sink/fan, this gas over time escapes making the heat exchange less efficient ie it cant take the heat from the cpu to heatsink/fan because they're side by side.

A replacement will solve the problem..... I have at least done 10 so far for various models.

HP parts are very easy to source, as well as HP service manuals both are available on there site.

Andic

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots