Overclocking on a budget - AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Modey, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Saw this article on Tom's Hardware, was quite interesting I thought.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I read this and it's true however I believe the i7s are worth the extra payout.

I built an i7 system a couple of weeks ago with the i7-920 and managed 4.25GHz on air with a max temp of 52 degrees and that was after a 36 hour stress test using prime95 :D unfortunately the system wasn't mine :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Glad to see AMD recovering a bit after being knocked for a loop a few years back.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Indeed. If Intel were to ever 'win' then we would be the losers. Competition is good!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Pheonicks56

Pheonicks56 Kilobyte Poster

I'm rocking an OCed AMD Phenom II x4 right now and loving it, TBH I don't know how to use up all the power.

Certifications: BSIT, AAIT, A+
    WIP: Network+
  6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Virtual Machines/Video Conversion/Crysis on highest settings :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

yep Crysis on full whack will test your system and run prime95 whilst your doing it that'll make anything cry :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly. I've never purchased an AMD processor (as I didn't need to buy a CPU while AMD was securely in possession of the CPU crown), but I realize what the processor world would be like without them to keep Intel on their toes. Same with ATI and Nvidia (though I have bought both GPUs in the past).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Good article. Im currently running the E2200 and its just as overclockable as the E5200 mentioned in the article. Ive got it nice and stable at 3.25ghz now and it only cost me £45. I could push it alot further if i pushed the voltage right up but theres no need. :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Phenom's have always been a good choice, forget RRP and all that because there cheap as chips if you know the right suppliers, I have even heard of places in the US almost giving them away as promotion.

that's why i think there one of the best for bang for buck. Having said that i would personally buy Intel and there dead cheap too depending on model. (he says with a lab of several v old HP AMD64's :oops: ).

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. supernova

Firefox when its a having one of its moments. :D

12. supernova

Same here , i am not really a avid gamer, but what made me biased was really the Linux support at the time.

13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

The early Phenoms major problem was that there is no such thing as a quality AM2/2+ mobo if your looking to overclock, a large part of what makes the 955 BE worth the buy is that (from what I'm hearing) AM3 mobos don't all totally suck.

I'm still going for an i7 though (the D0 stepping of the 920 is an overclocking monster) :twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  14. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Im running on an old pentium duel core on my laptop and a really old amd duron on my lab PC.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job