Over Clocking question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Mar 22, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

My Bios has lots of options like auto overclock etc you just tell it how much by eg. 5% 10% 15% or 20% and the settings are adjusted automatically.

Does this carry the same risks as manually overclocking or is it safer?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Overclocking is overclocking is overclocking.

The components are supplied at a rated level, which they have been tested to be stable at. Some may be able to perform at a higher level (since manufacturers tend to rate in set steps rather than incrementally), but theres no guarantee. No matter whether you adjust it manually or your bios uses predefined settings, you are still pushing the component above the rated settings.

You take any and all related risks when doing so - and most manu's state that overclocking instantly voids the warranty.

Its entirely up to you whether to do it or not, but your bios doing it for you negates none of the risk.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. greenbrucelee

Thats what I thought, when I build a new system I may experiment with the one I have now and see if overclocking it by 20% works.

4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

Don't do it on any system where you can't afford to lose data. Windows doesn't handle spontaneous reboots all that gracefully.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

As far as I am aware, using the pre-set overclock percentages doesn't change anything other than the FSB by the required amount. Some people I know have stuck it on 10% and been happy with that. Most systems will take that % quite happily and won't require any other modifications (voltage tweaks etc..). I wouldn't advise going for 20% right away, it's much better to gradually push the figures up and check for stability each time.

To answer your final question, it's no different than overclocking it the manual way, it's just a little easier. The risks (all be it, very small ones) are just the same. Something like the AI NOS setting is different and is a way of giving you system variable levels of overclocking boost.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

If you buy good components there is minimal risk of damage from overclocking, because of failsafe measures. I've taken my system to its limits within reason, and when I push it too much it simply restarts at default settings.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  7. greenbrucelee

My mobo is an Asus p5NE-sli I used the auto overclock before and increased my 2.1GHz cpu to 2.55GHz it booted normally no problems but I got a bit worried and returned it to its original speed.

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I haven't overclocked in a while actually. In the past I've done manual overclock because I can get better results, customize the settings the way I want, etc. Either way it puts stress on the components. If you want to play around with overclocking I would suggest that you get good parts such as good motherboard, ram and cpu.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Mathematix

If it remains stable and cool there's nothing to worry about. I've taken my 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 to 3.4GHz stable and left it there.

No problems at all. :)

10. greenbrucelee

Why does my memory timings show 5-5-5-18 when they are supposed to be 4-4-4-12 and is ok to put it to 4-4-4-12?

11. Mathematix

Your system has probably determined those to be stable timings. It's no big deal to the point where you would see a difference in performance.

12. greenbrucelee

Right I understand cheers mate.:D

13. Mathematix

No problems, dude! :biggrin

When timings are quoted by a manufacturer they seem to be always the fastest under 'optimal conditions', and many of the users simply don't have those.

14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hope you've got some spare cash sitting around in case you fry one or more components. That'd set your IT career back a tad, considering.

The question I'd ask myself is this: is it *really* worth the increase in speed?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. greenbrucelee

Its probably better just to buy better and faster components.

16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, only overclock if you really need to and also if you have the cash to replace the parts. If you have the cash then you might as well just upgrade the PC. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Mathematix

Remember though, that it is possible that if even faster components are purchased they could still be underclocked to the rate that you're currently getting. I've had several experiences of this. If you are getting getting the currently fast hardware being underclocked, then I fail to see how getting faster components will make a difference, as your system's limits have already been defined.

But it's up to you. :)

18. Crito

Crito Banned

The "Black Edition" CPUs from AMD have unlocked multipliers. My stock 4400+ X2 runs like a 5000+ with just a little FSB boost though. ;)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none