Outlook problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cockles, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi.

I am currently archiving a load of old emails, which I am doing so by saving them in message format to a folder on the desktop.

However, after I copy a couple of folders across, I get this message come up (see attachment) 'Not enough storage is available to process your command'

I have tons of hard drive space left, and it doesn't look like a RAM problem but it does clear up if I re-boot. Very odd. So could this be an Outlook problem?

I normally wouldn't ask but I suppose if I can get a good reason why this is happening, then it's all part of the learning curve

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks very much (ps, notice what's on my browser in the taskbar!)

Attached Files:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Are you out of virtual memory that has been set to a static size?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

That could be a possibility. How would I go about checking that and correcting the problem if that is so?

4. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Isn't that in:

System (right-click My computer and select properties)\ properties \ advanced \ performance \ "settings" \ advanced \ Virtual memory \ "change"

If it is static, then you will have manually entered a paging size of your choice. If you haven't, then it will be set to "system managed" or "no paging file"...

If you have set a static size, then you can check in here what you have selected against space recommended...

Apologies if that's not what BrainBeacon Michael means!! :oops:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...just thought also that if it is set to system managed size and has been for a while, you may have problems with it due to it shrinking / expanding.

Might be good to use: disk defragmenter?

..but you'd better get someone else's opinion before you try!!

6. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Thanks very much, this is my work PC though, so I am fairly limited in what I can physically do, although it is far quicker than logging it with IT here, not the quickest greyhounds in the race.

I'll give it a go and let you know......

7. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, took a look and I have custom set to minimum 1524MB, and I'm moving no where near that amount. I imagine this to be an Outlook thing more than anything

Oh well, it's not a big deal, but now I am in the process of learning I like to be able to have a fair idea of any little problems that crop up, no matter how small.

Thanks again

8. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Cockles,

Maybe closing Outlook prior to copying the files from folders might help.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Bummer. What is the set-up at work? Are you a member of a workgroup or a domain? Do you have a roaming profile?

It sounds like you may have corrupt .pst files. If that is the case, then IT will probably need to step in. do you know if you're an admin, power user or just a user? What group policies do you have?

...Hey - Do you know what? If you have a roaming profile, then you have a limited profile storage space. If you are saving to the desktop, then that would be part of the profile and rapidly filling the space up - yeah - that could be it!! If that's the case, then easily solved by moving the folder into the C:\ and creating a short cut on your desktop to the folder if you need to access it on a regular basis....

Have you had any messages about profile storage limits?

Getting excited here!!

10. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'll be honest, whether I have a roaming profile or not is lost on me. I can tell you that I am just a user, and so far as I know part of a workgroup. I did recently have to have an entire re-installation as apparently ihave too much in my personal folders, which caused all the rules I had set up to corrupt thus crashed the programme continuously. I have however had a totally new PC within the last so thought that would have solved that

Getting excited? Man, wish more women were like you, would have made my dating years a lot simpler!!!!!:D

11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Thought occures that the default place to save archive outlook stuff is within your profile on the local drive. If you are part of a domain and you have no access to the local "C:\" or group policy is setting the max size or your profile or you are using mandatory profiles then you would expect this kind of error.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Again:

System properties / advanced, and under: user profiles, click "settings" (if it will allow you to) This would give you an idea of what profile you are using. Mine is roaming and shows as last modified on 04/12...wonder why that is as have logged out / in since then...hopefully 270 rev will explain....

Well let me know what the outcome is when you eventually find out because it would be good to know if i'm on the right track, or totally barking up the wrong tree!!

Er, they probably were, but we like hiding!! :D

13. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Good point!

14. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I don't know if this makes any difference, but I am not archiving in the traditional sense. All I am doing is literally selecting all mail messages in a particular Outlook folder from the Outlook main window, and then dragging them to a folder on my desktop, then deleting the original messages from Outlook. This is why it struck me as odd as technically I am creating more space.

After I got the error message, I tried other applications (e.g. Quark, Acrobat) and saved things to my C: drive fine, so I am assuming it must be some form of conflict between Outlook and Windows XP

15. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

The folder you created - did you create it on your desktop or on the C:\ with a short cut to it on your desktop?

If the folder is saved to your desktop, then more reason to think it may be a problem related to profile storage...

:eek: getting confused now, so will leave it to someone more clued up!!

16. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Just a folder created straight on the desktop, no short cuts

I think I will leave this one to Mr Gates, only have to archive once a year anyway

Right, I'm off now to spread some christmas cheer, playing a gig tonight so won't be back for a day or two, so have fun people and thanks for the replies

:)

17. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Understanding Girls? :blink

Have you tried compacting your archive?...

18. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

:oops: Ahem, may I just clear up now that that is a book titled 'Understanding Girls Friendships, Fights and Feuds' about school bullying that I was working on, not some bits on chatting up women or other such nonsense.

I was of course referring to CF being constantly on my browser.....

You certainly do live up to your name :)