Outlook "not responding" when opening emails.

Discussion in 'Software' started by madrob, Dec 3, 2003.

1. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Hi all

Got a strange one here.

A friend in Ireland is having some very annoying troubles. He has a pretty good machine running XP. 2.somet ghz, 512 mb ram etc but it is taking an age to open outlook. He also runs win fax pro. I ran ad aware and disk clean up, office update and win update (It hadnt been done in about 7 months!) and for a short while it did the trick. But as i was leaving yesterday it crashed again when opening emails!

I hope that makes sense!? :oops: The main problem is that it stops responding when opening emails!? :eek:

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First think I can think of to ask is does the PC have any anit virus software that scans email. If so try disabling it just to see if this is the cause.

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I had a similar problem when I first got XP where XP insists on installing MSN messenger by default. When Outlook Express was opening it took an age, if I shut down MSN before onening OE it opened in a flash. I cured it by ripping MSN out, pre SP1 MSN is a pain to remove because you have to edit a file to make it visible in add remove programs. I'm not sure if SP1 has cured this though. May be completely unrelated but worth a shot.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Well, all fixed.

His PST was open (compressed and hidden) on second PC. Hence everytime they were both in it his would crash. Disconnected his PST on the second PC :snipersm: and it now works fine! I feared the monitor was going to be pushed of the desk if it wasnt solved soon! :cussing

Thanks for the quick response guys!

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

PST ???????????????

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

mailbox.pst - Outlook's personal folders where all your data is stored Me thinks

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Oh, I thought Nelix had a secret he was about to share :lol:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity