outlook express

Discussion in 'Software' started by zxspectrum, Mar 21, 2008.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Hi people

My friends dad has just bought a new laptop and what he would like to do is be able to get his email sittimg at his laptop. So i told him that he could just type in all his details and hed be away and wouild be able to see his mail etc. Anyway i tried setting this up using al the same names and passwords etc, but i cant get it to get all his mail.

Ive set the account with everything i can think of, but still no luck, i can even send mails to each computer via each machine. COuld it be that they may have different versions of outlook??? or am i missing something really easy ??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Get his emails from where?

And if it is a POP server are you setting it to 'leave all emails on the server' so that other machines can see it. They need setting to that was as well.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. zxspectrum

Yeah Harry im leaving that setting on

Ed

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You are incredibly vague as to what exactly is going on. What version of outlook is the lappy using? what is he connecting to (btinternet? hotmail?).

I cant even begin to think what you mean by this, are you sending netsend commands to each machine? or do you perhaps mean that the laptop is able to connect to the mail account and send emails out fine, it just wont receive them?

Perhaps you should start from the beginning:
    What ISP is he connecting to?
    Does he have another machine set up with this already? If so, What client is being used on that machine?
    What client is being used on the new machine?
    What happens when you try to send/receive emails from the new machine.

details details!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. zxspectrum

Sorry for being vague Fergal

His ISP is talktalk.net, the out look express is versino 5 on the computer and on the laptop its versino 6, though i cant see that making much of a difference ?? Unless its me being thick here??

The client server goes like this, his mail is set up on pop3, there are 2 different settings, one for incoming and one for out going. the incoming one is mail.talktalk.net and the other is smtp.talktalk.net.

One thing i tried to do to make sure there wasnt and sending problems was to send emaails between each computer, i sent one fomr the desktop to the laptop and then from the laptop to the computer. thisworked for both. The objective io suppose im trying to achieve is so that he can get the mails hes sees on the desktop to appear on the laptop. the only thing i can think of is the account names and passwords butb ive been through them. The other thing is that when he set up outloook on the desktop he was on freeserve, and now hes on talktalk??/

ed

6. hbroomhall

I'm confused here. :ohmy

You say the laptop has settings for talktalk. The desktop is using Outlook, or Outlook Express? And what ISP is it set for?

You say you sent an email between the two. That sort of implies that they are on different accounts! If this is the case then you can't, using those accounts, see the other email box.

To be able to see another email box you need to configure that account in as well.

Harry.

7. Fergal1982

im just thinking here. Are you saying that the laptop can receive emails ok?

Is the problem that the laptop cant see the past emails that are on the desktop? ie the ones sent months/weeks ago, etc?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  8. zxspectrum

OK sorry harry

The ISp is talktalk, his mail client on the desktop is outlook, and the one im using on the laptop is outlook express, though can that make a difference?? Both computers are on talktalk

When you say i need to configue the other account, in what way, some settings?? Its just the username and pasdword are the same. The only thing i can think of is he set up outlook on freeserve at first, and now he has changed ISP but has kept the same email address??

Ed

9. hbroomhall

If he setup on freeserve, and hasn't changed any settings then he is still on freeserve.

So how did you send an email from one machine to the other? To do that they would have been different addresses?

Harry.

10. hbroomhall

Good thinking...

This would happen if you have only just set the 'leave on server' setting. This change won't work retrospectively!

Harry.

11. zxspectrum

He cant see any mails that were sent, even though he should be able to , there are loads opened and 2 that arent. Im thinking that it must be a mail address problem, ??? but im using all the information he has given me when setting up from the laptop???

His ISp was freeserve Harry, but now hes on talktalk but on the desktop the outlook window does say provided by freeserve?? Im stumped on this one

Ed

12. Fergal1982

you really arent being clear on this. lets try an experiment...

Shut down outlook on the desktop. send an email to his address from a hotmail address (or any other address you have - NOT his), and tell us if the laptop receives the email.

13. zxspectrum

I thought ahead for a change and did that, and his desktop recieved the mail but his lappy didnt, and apparently he cant get outlook working at all, so from that i reckon that it must be him giving me the wrong information as to the correct email address??? Unless you tywo can think of anything else ???

ed

14. hbroomhall

Er - if he gets the email on the desktop, and he is using Outlook on the desktop how does this square with
    ?

You say the desktop recieved the email - therefore the address you sent it to is correct.

Did you shutdown the desktop before sending the email? And looked on the laptop first before booting the desktop?

Harry.

15. Fergal1982

have you also gone through the account settings on the desktop and compared them to the lappy? dont go by what a user tells you the settings are, verify them for yourself.

16. zxspectrum

Yeah i did all that harry, i phone up about 5 mins ago and he said it was on the desktop but not on the laptop as he couldnt get that working, then rang back to say he got it working , but with no mail from me??

I did verify the settings from the desktop to correspond with the laptop, i know this because at first he gave me the wrong passowrd, he gave me a 10 didgit one whereas the desktop passowrd as 8 digit etc.

ed

17. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Could it be that since this is a pop3 account that on the desktop the setting is such that it's deleting the mail off the server when it's downloaded to the desktop PC? If that is the case, the laptop wouldn't ever receive the mail.

To be honest, there isn't a particuly easy or elegant way to keep two PC's syncronised particularly well via a single pop3 email account if you are hoping to download email to both machines. However, most big ISP's usually offer webmail access to their pop3 accounts, so it might be better to use an email client (Outlook) on one of the PC's, and stick to webmail access on the other. If the account was IMAP based then it would be a different kettle of fish and much easier to do what you are trying.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  18. hbroomhall

So it wasn't done in the order specified. He had the desktop on before the laptop. It sounds as if the desktop is set to download and delete emails. This needs to be changed.
    As these two machines are remote from you what did you need the password for?

And I was asssuming that you were physicaly next to these machines. Has that not been the case?

Harry.

19. zxspectrum

Yes it was done on the desktop at first as he got that machine over 2 years ago. The passwords were used when trying to set up the account on the new laptop, as i went through thw set up wizard it asked for them. I was at the house where thwe laptop and the desktop are situated rather close to each other in the same house i was there this afternoon and then came back home and started the topic here

\Ed

20. hbroomhall

Ah - that's clearer!

So it sounds as if you have to set the desktop to leave the messages on the server.

I'm still bafled as to how you sent an email from one machine to the other. Unless they had different accounts.

Harry.