Outlook Express Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by tripwire45, Dec 27, 2003.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A friend of mine called me yesterday with an empassioned plea to help her with OE. Seems for the past 5 or 6 days, when she tries to open OE to get her e-mail, the application freezes and nothing downloads. Unfortunately, she's not the most technically minded person around so it's hard for her to articulate the symptoms.

She uses Netscape as her default browser and someone put a freeware anti-virus software on her PC. Probably running Windows 98. Says she didn't change anything about her computer right before OE stopped working but says that she did update Netscape to the current version some weeks ago.

She also says she can't access her e-mail via the webmail server at her ISP. This last part seems suspect, though. She says she has internet access and can browse at will. I'm going over to her place tomorrow to take a look (she lives about 35 - 45 minutes away) but want to go as prepared as possible. Any ideas? Thanks.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

ISP's usually give about 10MB of space for each account.Think that's the norm anyway.She might have just gone over the limit, simple as.
    The ISP should have sent her an email to notify her of this limit.

What do I know :oops:

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

State the obvious first: Are pop3/smtp settings ok, as defined by ISP ?

Then, with the added 3rd party AntiVirus software added, are there any plug-ins, etc, causing conflicts ?

Can she browse her email acount via webmail (ie by-passing OE) ?

Can a new account be set up within Outlook Express that works OK ?

I'm probably just saying the first things that come into my head, but they're the first things I'd look at ...

I'd remove the AV software first, then work back from that. Hope that helps.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Yeehaw, gang! You're the best. Thanks.

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

So what was the problem, Trip ?

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

By coincidence, I got a call today from one of the Missus's friends who's having OE probs.

Waiting for some more details from her, so will let you know if/when I need you Guys' help :D

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Sorry, gang. I cancelled the trip for today. We've finally got our first real snow storm and it's been coming down for about six hours or more now with no let up in sight. I operate on a simple equation: snow + rural roads = accidents/getting stranded.

I talked to my friend and she finally got ahold of her local computer person who will come out tomorrow a.m. to take a look. I may never know what the problem is since my friend has a terrible time describing these sorts of things. The more I think about it though, the more I believe it's an ISP thing. She can't download e-mails to OE and she can't access her webmail Either her webmail is screwed up somehow or something's not right with her authentication. She's probably better off waiting until she can reach her ISP's help desk and have them take a look.

9. outlook

outlook Banned