outlook and default browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

hey guys, can you tell me how to make outlook load url's into the default browser? currently it opens them in avant, as opposed to firefox which is currently my default browser.

i assume its something i set ages ago in outlook itself, but i cant remember where it is!!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Try this:

Open Internet Explorer.

Go to Tools, Internet Options.

Click on the Programs tab.

Click on the box next to Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser.

Clear the check box.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Fergal1982

ive done that. firefox is set up as the default browser, and avant isnt checking it. but outlook still opens in avant!

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I cant recall a setting in outlook, have you looked in the settings of avant? Just a thought.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

As Trip said above, for Internet Options>Programs, you can set which Program defaults to handle your email, which would then presumably work from within your chosen browser (as selected in the same window above)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Fergal1982

nono jak. what i mean is that outlook wont launch urls INTO my default browser, it will load up avant in order to show pages clicked on in emails, whereas i want it to load in firefox!

its the same with Word, so im talking to the microsoft support guys trying to get a fix for it!

ive also ensured that firefox is set as default, and that avant/ie isnt trying to make itself default!

Fergal

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

My bad, Fergal - 'twas late, after a long week, m8 :oops:

Do let us know the outcome tho ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Fergal1982

Ok, microsofts official response from the support guy was more or less:

"It doesnt support it!"

he was actually really nice about it, stated that he felt it wasnt unreasonable to want to change it, but to suggest it to microsoft.

I managed to resolve it using a program, which ive put into an article on certforums, so if it gets approved for going live, you can all see it there!

Thanks guys
    Fergal

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Moral of the story is that to the best of MS's ability, Microsoft will only support Microsoft...unless forced into other options. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+