Outlook 2010 Issue - Need Password Prompt constantly

Discussion in 'Software' started by Colloghi, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Ive got a strange issue with Outlook 2010 and which is affecting around 6 users out of about 150. All users here have Outlook 2010, after being upgraded from 2007. The same goes for our exchange server this was update from 2007 to 2010.

For just 6 users, outlook constantly asks them for logon credentials when they try to use it, and at random intervals during outlook use. Entering the user credentials and ticking the save credentials box does nothing and it still appears when using outlook

Ive come across this before and normally clearing cached credentials works, or the issue is with a recent password change, user account locked. However there are no cached credentials, and passwords havnt been changed, neither are the accounts locked out.

Attempts to resolve issue

Entering user credentials in cached credentials - same issue
    recreate mail profile - same issue
    disconnect and reconnect mailbox - same issue
    Tested email accounts on another machine that has a working user - same issue
    checked security settings via outlook and ensured settings mirrored user that works - authentication, proxy etc - same issue
    recreated OST file (there was an error stating the OST is still open on another machine) - even though its not --- same issue

On exchange - we dont use autodiscover, and settings work for other users with no problems, - DNS, SSL IIS should be fine

Something odd I did notice

Create a new User from scratch - email account fine
    copy and create a new user from working user - email fine
    copy and create a new user from a problem user - same issue occurs.

Ive looked through ADSI for email attribute to see of any are trying to look for old credentials etc, but nothing stands out - just wondered if this was a possibly an issue somewhere in AD attributes

We are planning to roll out SP2 to the exchnage server over the weekend, so hoping that will fix it, and if not Monday morning, Easiest solution will probably be to just recreate the accounts

Any Ideas people?

Systems are Windows 764 bit, outlook 2010 32 bit

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  2. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

I've had a nightmare at work with direct upgrades from 2007 to 2010 and resulting email issues using Exchange and OWA. Using the Office Fix It files to completely remove any trace of 2007 fixed all of them. I would run 2010 Fix It first (as you have already installed 2010) and then 2007 Fix It after. Then install Office 2010 cleanly.

Here is the link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971179

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  3. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks BB88, ive tried the above clean installs and still have the issue with these specified accounts. One user having this problem has even had a brand new pc built from scratch.

Im currently on my account on my laptop after the clean install and as before, mine works fine, but switch to the test account on this same laptop and no luck...........

Also to add

clicking cancel, brings up a "need password" box in the bottom right corner of outlook. click that and it connects as normal and receives email.......but again later it will randomly asked for credentials again

Ive had it suggested to me that perhaps the users have had access to other mailboxes before the upgrade and this has caused the issues now. However These users dont appear to have had access to mailboxes........

4. BB88

BB88 Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Have the accounts that need the password, been changed to different exchange mailbox addresses, and cannot resolve due to incorrect settings here?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCSA: Office 365,, 70-410, 70-680
    WIP: CompTIA: Security+
  5. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Colloghi,
    Are the clients that are experiencing the issue running Office 2010 SP1?

Also, if you CTRL + right click on the Outlook icon in the notification area (near the clock/time), and choose 'connection status', does it show all connections as being established?

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've experienced this (and occasionally still do), depending on the issues the following may fix the pop-up boxes:

In Outlook 2010 go:

File -> Info -> Account Settings -> Account Settings -> (select e-mail account) -> Change -> More settings -> Security -> change the logon network security to NTLM from Negotiate Authentication

And/or

Force everyone to use HTTP to connect to the Exchange server from Outlook here: File -> Info -> Account Settings -> Account Settings -> (select e-mail account) -> Change -> More Settings > Connection > Exchange Proxy Settings

Hope this helps you :)

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Delete the AD accounts, then recreate them and connect the disconnected mailboxes perhaps.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the suggestions

Wagnerk - Unfortunately that hasnt previously worked when we have tried it.

The clients are running SP1, - testing 2 accounts on my machine with the same outlook

test account - fails with the above issue
    my account works fine!

Strangely they do still receive email, its just more of an annoyance for users.

Ive tried the right click thingy to test the connection status, it does fail on retrieving our .co.uk details, but again it does this on the accounts that work and the ones that done. I think this is down to the autodiscovery not being enabled?

We rolled out SP2 as well to the exchange 2010 server this weekend, but again no fix on these particular clients. I think the best option unfortunately is gpoing to be to set them up with brand new accounts

cheers guys!

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Have you tried creating new user profiles (not mail profiles) for the accounts?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Hi Nugget, its one of the first things I done........no luck:(

HOWEVER, the issue has now been solved.............yay

The issue was with the proxy port settings which are specified based on the internet access we provide to specific people/groups. I.e we had port 1 for filtered, port 2 for unfiltered - There was nothing specifically set to deny access for the unfiltered users through to exchange, but there wasnt any specific rules which allowed them through either.

Even though I had checked groups with AD etc, and amended my own account in line with the issue users id only notice this difference when I compared the gpresults of each user....

All seems to be working now :D Quite chuffed as Im new to this role( a few weeks) and the problem had been plaguing us for a while!

11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Congrats on solving the problem. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. Funbags

Funbags New Member

Hi Colloghi

So I read your last repy. I was wondering if you could elaborate on the steps you actually took to resolve this issue. I have the same problem with only one user and I can't seem to fix it. None of the other recommendations in this thread helped either.

thanks