Outlook 2003 problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex Wright, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

Just a quick one... I've just taken a call from a user who requested that I insert an image (company logo) into her Outlook signature. Ok, easy enough... job done... bye bye user!

5 minutes later the user calls me again enquiring as to why the signature (that now includes the company logo) appears as an attachment when she sends an email. I wasn't sure so connected up to her machine and had a look through Tools/Options but couldn't see anything in the settings that allowed me to stop this from happening. It's strange cus it's only in Outlook that the signature appears as an attachment... it doesn't appear that way in Hotmail, Thunderbird etc.

Anyone know if there's a fix for this?

Thanks,

Alex.

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In my simple-minded way I would have thought that an image will always be an 'attachment'.

The base e-mail system can only send text, so to do anything else will require a transformation and a wrapper of sorts. This will produce a multi-part MIME message, which is how attachments are usualy sent.

That said - I *believe* that if you force the sending of HTML email (shudder) then it may not appear as an attachment to Outlook. But I'm no Outcrock expert.

Harry.

Edit: This link may or may not be relevant.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If the users (that you are sending to) email software is only setup to display plain text (just an example) then the sig will be an attachment.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Me too... just thought that it was a bit weird that other e-mail clients didn't interpret the image as being an attachment.

Thought I'd ask!

Alex

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  5. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  6. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I remember this always cropping up in my last job...in the end its all down to what mail client is being used...as you said for those who hotmail they will see the sig no problem, but others may not...if the user cant see your side of things, I would scrap the sig altogether...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life