Outlook 2002/XP Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by r.h.lee, Apr 14, 2006.

1. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

I've got Office XP installed on a Windows 2000 Professional computer.

The problem concerns attachments to an e-mail.

When I click the [New] button in Outlook, then I click the [@] paperclip toolbar button, an "Insert File" dialog box shows up. It is pointing to "My Documents."

Now, it's possible to attach files that are specifically at the root level of "My Documents." However, when I try to open a folder in the "Insert File" dialog box, things freeze up.

When I go directly to the desktop and then double click My Computer, then double click on any folder, sure, I open that folder. This seems to work fine with trying to attach a file within a folder when I use Yahoo mail at http://mail.yahoo.com, and Hotmail. I can double click folders and open them to attach files within the folders.

Yet, when I try to click on the "attach" button in Outlook 2002, the "Insert File" dialog box still does not permit me to double click on a folder, then attach a file in that folder. Here's a related and bizarre occurance. When opening Word 2002/XP, then I go to "Insert->Picture->From file", I get the same bizarre occurance of inability of double clicking folders.

In this day and age of rootkits and paranoia with DRM, is this inability to double click folders some sort of DRM enforcement or liability prevention so that you can't either e-mail attach or insert copyrighted files such as picture files?

I'm running Norton Antivirus 2002 with [x]Enable Office Plug-in enabled if somehow that's a possible factor.

I'm open to any questions that I haven't answered in the information above.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - I've just checked Outlook in an Office XP installation - but under XP home and without Norton, and it works fine for me!

First thing I'd try is to disable Norton and that plug-in and try again.

AFAIK DRM isn't the problem - doing this as a 'protective' measure would be just too heavyhanded. And it shouldn't lock up anyway.

I'd also use Adaware to check the computer, as Norton is rather famous for missing stuff!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

I did that, and it didn't help.

I ran Adaware, and still had problems.

4. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

How about running a repair on the installation of Office just incase there is a problem there ?

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

I am replying to my own post to notify people that the problem is now solved for now. While browsing my "Windows Task Manager", Processes tab, I noticed about a "billion" instances of an Image Name of "verclsid.exe." Using a search, I came across others who have been having problems with it, to include "issues with OE." So here's what I did:
    1. Using Windows Explorer, I went into c:\winnt\system32\
    2. Renaming the file "verclsid.exe " to "verclsid.exe.old"
    3. Go into Windows Task Manager, Processes tab, then [End Process] all of the instances of "verclsid.exe."
    Now I no longer have issues browsing my file system through the "Insert File" dialog box.

Relevant links:
    1 ) Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update M506-015 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165
    2 ) verclsid.exe - http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=181833
    3 ) broadband >> Forums >> Security >> verclsid.exe - http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15875820

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Glad that you got it sorted Richard!

Thanks for posting your solution as well, this way it will serve to help others, which is waht Cert Forums is all about! :biggrin