Outlook 2002 crash HELP!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vdubster187, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

All,

I have a user profile problem every time I open outlook 2002 using this profile it crashes and displays the usual ... outlook has stopped responding send error report etc. I am using server 2000 for exchange sever and windows XP pro on the clients, I have tried the following

Deleted roaming profile from clients
    Restored profile pre crashing problem
    Creating a whole new profile but keeping the same logon name
    Tried several outlook.exe /commands

I am very stuck on this one, all other user accounts work fine when using outlook. I think it may be an exchange server issue or anti virus. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Eddie

Certifications: A+ (2009), MCDST, NVQ2 IT, CCNA, CCNA (S) MCP (70-290) McAfee NSP
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

What happens if the user logs into another machine, does it work, or still do the same?

rename the .ost file to .old
    remove all app data & registry settings for outlook (Backup default profile .NK2 file and keep the old .ost somewhere safe)
    run a repair on the office installation
    re-run outlook

see if that works - if that fails however, you might want to think about backing her mailbox up into a .pst and perhaps re-creating the mailbox on the exhcnage server, then just add the .pst into outlook as an archive folder so the user can access previous emails

We get this quite often in work, running the above normally works ok

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

Thanks for your reply,

The error occurs on any terminal so i guess this may be a profile issue, we do not have .ost enabled only .pst files. I have attached a screen shot it only loads to this point then freezes up and i am unable to select any options. Could i migrate the mailbox into a .pst then use that on a new account?
    Thanks again for your help

Eddie

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+ (2009), MCDST, NVQ2 IT, CCNA, CCNA (S) MCP (70-290) McAfee NSP
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Could be a corrupt profile. Have you tried deleting the profile completley and starting a new?

You could try copying the mails etc as a .pst but if any are encrypted or password protected then you may loose this.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

Does the user have a PST file and if so how large is it?

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  6. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Might be worth checking the AV - have seen Avast plugins cause problems with newer version of oulook, reinstall usually fixes this. Just an idea :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Rename the local profile and also the roaming profile on the server to .old. Log in and try again.

If it still bombs, try adding another outlook profile with a pop3 mailbox, you can type any details for this. It may be that outlook is having a problem with this users exchange mailbox for some reason.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Try running scanpst.exe on .PST files and make sure that profile hasn't got any mailboxes added to which user hasn't got the access to.

edit: why screenshot in a word doc? :rolleyes:

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. Vdubster187

Vdubster187 Bit Poster

yes he does it is only 32kb

thanks