Out of TEFL and into IT

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Mr E, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Mr E

Mr E New Member

I'm Mr E (geddit?) I'm just starting to look into the wonderful world of IT jobs and opportunities.

So I've been an English teacher around the world now for almost 3 years after the economy crashed and left little for us graduates to run towards. (I did my BA in German and Economics)

Now TEFL is a fun and fulfilling industry but it's never good at giving you a job that pays very well.

So now I'm looking at coming back into my old passion of Networking systems and various other things related to corporate networks and how they operate. I've never been great at programming but many people have said that I should have a try at looking into other areas and maybe I'd find something.

I don't have any relevant experience to date and am considering doing the training to start me on the steep slope towards my first job in IT. Crazy maybe but hey we all have to start somewhere I guess. I'd be happy for any help and support that you more experienced people can give me. What I will say is that I've already been in touch with the national IT learning centre and considered some of their courses. Any other alternatives would be nice.

The one advantage I do seem to have at the moment is that I'm still in work and I'd say won't be out of it for a while. People are always after an english teacher with experience :biggrin Then again looking at the madness of the world economy this could all change.

Anyway look forward to talking to many of you and hopefully getting some advice to start my new career idea.

2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I would always advise trying self-study first before contemplating paying for support you probably don't need (and often don't get). The search engine of your choice and the info and help on sites such as this are all you should need. If you work in IT you have to learn how to find information yourself because no one will spoon-feed you for long.

Unfortunately for you (and me) entry-level networking jobs as as rare as hen's teeth. Most people without IT degrees will start out in helpdesk/service desk roles and work their way up from there. That route certainly gives you the most options for getting your foot on the ladder.

I'd look at entry-level certs such as the CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+. Have a look at the info on this site about those.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Mr E

Mr E New Member

Hey Soundain

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly look into doing these. You're right about not needing to go through a course and I'd much prefer self-study as a route. The thing to know would be which exams to start with and then slowly work my way up. That way I'd be sure to be able to continue working and earning money at the same time. Then at whichever point is best I could move away from the theory and into working in an entry level job with the qualifications I'd gained.