out of my depth??

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by irf, Nov 12, 2007.

1. irf

irf New Member

hello guys and girls, thought it best to introduce myself.
    i've been driving buses(i know i know) for the last couple of years, before that i was a chauffeur. having got fed up with not so nice members of the public day in day out i knew i had to do something. My wife suggested skillstrain and i thought why not!
    anyway, this could turn out to be a very long story so i'll try and keep it short. a lady came to the house, suggested a few paths i could take. as i didnt know what any of them meant:blink i went with her suggestion of CISCO CCNA. i think she was impressed with the speed i done her test, dunno if that was just her marketing though.
    anyway, at the moment i'm studying at home, been doing this for a couple of months and am near the end of section 1 part b. i appreciate though this probably doesn't mean much to most.
    the point of this introduction? well, at the moment i will have absolutely nothing to contribute:biggrin hopefully as time goes by and i gain some knowledge i will be able to.

btw, i am aware of the stigma associated with those studying at home but seeing as i saw it as my only option at the time, well, here's hoping for the best:beers2

Certifications: ha!!
    WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

I take it you don't have any real on the job experience of working with CISCO stuff?

I take it this person was from Advent or skillstrain etc?

You shouldn't really be CCNA without any experience I may end being more difficult for you to get a job if you manage to pass it. This type of cert is really for someone with 6 month to years experience of networking with CISCO equipment.

I would have recommended the compTIA A+, N+, get a job whilst doing it before doing CCNA.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, irf. Welcome to CertForums. If you have absolutely no experience or background in Information Technology and specifically in networking, I wouldn't tackle the CCNA straight away. Unless you have a natural aptitude for that sort of thing in the extreme, you would find the learning curve very challenging (if not completely vertical).

Also, don't imagine that the Skillstrain person was impressed with you (even if she was). I don't believe that there is anyone in that sort of business that would discourage you from spending your money on their company based on how you performed on a test. I was almost sucked into a similar situation quite a few years ago when my "Spider Sense" told me that there was a problem. I dropped the company like a bad habit and never went back.

I know this is the standard sort of advice we give here at CF, but if you are just starting out and don't have a history working with technology, I'd recommend studying for CompTIA's A+ certification. It's entry-level but will give you a sound foundation in computer hardware and operating system repair and maintenance. You can pop down to our A+ forums and read some of the threads to get an idea of what people are saying about this line of study.

For many people, you can purchase a few texts on the subject, acquire an older PC or two to practice on and study at home for the certification. I think that would be a better option for you and would save you a ton of money. Good luck.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

I will second that, Cisco stuff need experience so I am afraid the certification that you will get "after a lot of hard work" will not help you get your foot on the ladder.

The A+ followed by the N+ sounds to me like a better option.....

Just my opinion really, Good luck with your studying and welcome to CF!

Amine

WIP: Exchange
  5. irf

irf New Member

all opinions gratefully recieved, thats what forums are for aren't they?

afraid it's too late though, already signed up. will have to see what happens. thanks for the welcome:)

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

How long have been with the training provider?

There is normally some sort of grace period where you can opt out before it gets too late, have a look at your contract to see when it was or is.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi Irf,
    Welcome to CF:D

Like the others have said, you would be better off starting with A+ followed by N+.

But whatever you decide, good luck with the studies!:D

Cheers
    NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. irf

irf New Member

maybe getting the wrong end of the stick here but i am actually doing the A+ followed by the N+ then onto CCNA. or am i just stating the obvious lol:biggrin

admittedly i dont have any prior knowledge but i really have taken to it. i know that i have the ability to do it, of that i have no doubt. unfortunately being 35, my memory and studying ability isn't what it once was and it seems my memory has turned into a sieve:eek::biggrin

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Doing the A+ and Network+ is a great idea. But you need a healthy dose of real-world business IT experience before considering doing the CCNA. If you want something to follow the A+ and Network+, pursue the MCDST.

For the record, going the self-study route is a great option.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ive been working in IT for over 5 years and only now I am starting to deal with Cisco kit, lots of 'WTF' moments so far.

You will be well placed to look for a job after passing the A+ and Network+, best of luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. irf

irf New Member

LOL i think, if anything thats what i've definetly learned so far, that, after the A+ and N+ start looking for a job. thanks for the welcome and advice everyone, start looking out for me in the forum in general asking loads of 2+2 type of questions:oops::biggrin

12. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

AFter? I've just landed a job half way through my A+ :D

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Never mind 2+2. Just you wait until you find out that 1+0=0 and 0+1=0, but 1+1=1...

:)

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. irf

irf New Member

good for you dave, how on earth did you mange that????:D

kind of understand the binary thingamajiggy as i'm sure you can tell by my use of technical jargon lol.

edit. by the way, whats with the points and power stuff in the reputation box? and how is it increased?

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed - start looking NOW... and if you finish your A+ before you get a job, add it to your CV, keep looking for a job, and start on Network+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

hi irf, i did a test for skills train and the guy was adamant i was wrong and that there was actually 6 bits in a byte :confused3

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  19. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

By looking and applying for entry level jobs, e.g. 1st Line Tech Support roles. They usually ask that you have some sort of certifications or degrees and x years of experience but most of the time, if anybody has these, they will be looking for a higher position than 1st line tech support.

The job I've managed to get asked for a few things I didn't have but the reality was, despite listing essential skills, they were looking for self starting and motived people.

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  20. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good advice from BM, start looking as soon as you can for an entry level IT position. If it's entry level then it's unlikely to require qualifications or prior experience. What they would want is someone reliable who is willing and eager to learn and you can obviously show that is the case since you are studying at home towards a recognised industry qualification.

Learning on the job and gaining hands on experience in invaluable and the sooner you can start doing that, the better really. Just don't be disappointed if the sales people for your course implied that you could walk into a 30k+ job with a company car as soon as you got a CCNA. The only way that will happen is when you have a proven track record and several years of experience in the field ...

Anyway, good luck with the studying and welcome to CF.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada