Oulook 2010 Autodiscovery issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

So I've been trying to wrap my head around this one...

We have an environment that is currently Exchange 2007/2010 in coexistence, all the users are on Exchange 2010. The Autodiscovery SRV record is pointing to Exchange 2007, however redirection of the autodiscovery seems to be working for everyone except for 2 users, I also tested my PC and all is good. SCP is properly setup and if I list all the autodiscovery URLs, they show the correct ones in addition to Exchange 2007 URLs.

I have two users that are have issues with their OOF ... If I run the Outlook Test Email autoconfiguration, I can see that the clients try to resolve the Exchange 2007 Autodiscovery URL then get redirected to Exchange 2010 URLs and this is where it fails.

Judging by the fact that this is only happening to two users and no one else, I doubt that it has to do with Exchange 2007/2010 autodiscovery. Sure at one point before we decom exchange 2007, we'll need to update the autodiscovery SRV record, but for the time being while exchange 2007 is in existence, autodiscovery seems to work. Also they connect using MAPI and not Outlook Anywhere or anything like that.

To add, these users are able to setup their out of office within OWA just not within Outlook.

Any ideas as to what you guys think it could be?

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

stupid to ask I know but is their dns set up correctly and nothing funky going on in their host files? Are the users in the same dept/subnet or anything else similar?

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

DNS looks good... I can get around this issue by adding the right URL to the hosts file of the PC... but not if its automatic... honestly I am just going to update the autodiscovery record to point to the new servers... It needs to be done anyways.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

If it's just these two users, and this is just a temporary solution for coexistence, have you considered specifying a local XML file for Outlook to use? I recently did this for ~1,500 users in a 2007 --> 2010 migration where "rich" coexistence was impossible, and it worked perfectly (you get free/busy, OOF etc. and it's transparent to end users)

There's a good blog post on it here:

some autodiscover fun - Ilse Van Criekinge's Weblog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Some of the other entries in there might also help (e.g. you can force Outlook to only do DNS lookups, and not rely on any of it's other methods which may be taking precedence over your DNS entry).

- Gav

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Thanks for the info Gav, I actually came across that exact same article. I ended up getting it to work with an entry in the hosts file pointing the autodiscover.domain.com to the correct IP and that seems to have worked. But next week, I'll need to update the Autodiscovery and point the A/SRV records to the correct server.