other than certs...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by shadowwebs, Jul 16, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Other than just certs... what else is needed to get ahead in the IT Career Ladder, especially when my current employer does not provide opportunity

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

To go up the IT career ladder, you might have to hop from company to company to get where you want to be. However, if you are in a production type role, for the company or clients you are currently working for, get to know their network and systemes infrastructure inside out. Additionally, get to know the companies policies and procedures like the back of your hand. With this knowledge you become extremely useful to the company especially when a big incident strikes. This might then open up some doors for you.

Also, take a look at management training, or project management.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  3. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

Experience is essential and being on good terms with your boss helps.

I have unfortunately only ever worked for employers that don't pay for certs. I generally fund them my self. I often find that I progress faster than my current job.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Depends... different employers look for different things, however on a few application forms that I've been filling in (along with the job descriptions), here are a few things:

1. Membership of a professional body (may or may not include professional registration/Chartered status, eg ICTTech, IEng, CITP, CEng).

2. Depending on the job/organisation: a degree, some will even require/desire postgrad studies (eg PGCert, PGDip, Masters).

3. Experience... This is based on the job description, as every organisation can be different.

4. Network, yes switches, cabling is networking, but that's not what I mean. Get yourself known, talk to people, link up with people on work/social networking sites. I've been offered jobs in the past because of this (I turned them down as it wasn't the field of IT I wanted to progress in at the time).

5. A positive attitude...

6. Helping out other people with their work load as long as it doesn't affect yours or even job shadowing.

7. Invest in yourself, don't just wait for your employers to invest in you, otherwise it may never happen.

8. Good customer service skills and at least basic business skills

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. shadowwebs

I have spoken to my boss before about career development, I received no response. I am happy to pay for my own certs also, when I passed the A+ for example and became certified I notified my manager and received a response of merely "well done" and when one of my colleagues said that he has the A+, N+, MCDST to name a few they were also not bothered... only more bothered to say that please ensure you are at work on time and do the best you can do.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not a member of a professional body / membership and do not have a degree as I decided a long time ago to try and work my way through instead of going through the University option.

Experience I come with many years worth, and have always helped others with their workload in some respects to gain further experience.

I remain with a positive attitude at all times and then have a moan when I get home about how the day went, rather than putting a downer on things while still in the office. I have asked about job shadowing either people in networks or other tech's but that has also received no response...

Currently studying towards the 70-680 as an investment in myself.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  6. Kitkatninja

There are other qualifications that are comparable to degrees or degree level (please note there are 3 levels, corresponding to each year), eg NVQ 4 and 5, Professional Diplomas (eg here), senior awards from the C&G (eg LCGI and GCGI), other awards at level 4, 5, 6 and above of the OCF. Some of these are work based, home/distance learning, etc...

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. shadowwebs

in regards to NVQ levels, what does the A+ fall under?

8. Kitkatninja

If the A+ is integrated into a NVQ program, it would fall under level 2. If it is included in the apprenticeship program, the Comptia A+ would be offered as one of the available technical certs, again at level 2.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  9. shadowwebs

quite a big exam to get through so i would have thought it was higher than this, well I am not going to worry about nvq levels comparing

10. Kitkatninja

It's even mapped to SFIA level 2, but it should be expected that people obtaining A+ accreditation would be significantly on their way to SFIA level 3 (which would be Network+, Server+ level)

11. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Sadly if that's how the company are I think you'll struggle to develop and push on if you stay there. From their response it just smacks of a place where you're there to do the job, nothing more, nothing less, so certs etc won't really matter to them.

My advice would be start looking for a new role, that next step, the little (or big depending on how brave you are) jump up from what you are doing now.

I've found it's the best way to develop, push yourself out of your comfort zone, although I've been reasonably lucky that places I've worked have been ok with giving me training, some more than others though.

Where I am now seems good, as long as you can say there will be business benefits to the training you can stick your name down for stuff and from what I can tell you can usually get what you asked for.

12. shadowwebs

monkeychops, I sadly agree with you and have began job searching but not an awful lot around my area at present so will have to monitor that situation as time passes

13. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

I've been in a similar situation before. Was at a company where I enjoyed the job and people, but had hit a wall with regards to career progress.

Had 2 choices, sit there and wait it out (someone would leave meaning there was somewhere to move up to, eventually, but then everyone else was also sat waiting), or push on elsewhere.

Ever since then I've always moved on to jobs which are a step up and usually out my comfort zone but it's been the best way for me to do it.

14. shadowwebs

I feel that is probably the best option for myself also.

15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Play with the software and hardware to get a feel for what the likely issues are in a real work environment. There is VMware, Virtual PC and others out there you can use as a lab to install and gain useful insight.

Read technical white papers, books and watch CBT videos as certication is good but the experience ultimately is what potential employers crave for.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell