OSI On the Network +

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Luddym, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I'm studying for my Network + (Having got spine tinglingly close to taking my 70-270, for the second time, and still not feeling comfortable with it) and wondered how important it is I know the intricate details of the OSI, instead of just vaguely knowing what is what.

It apears to be in the 'Protocol and Standards' area of the Network + Exam, which in all only has a 20% weighting.

I know it is worth learning everything back to front, but I've been forgetting things recently, so have been trying to streamline the learning process.

So . . . how important really is it to know the OSI back to front. I alrealy know which level comes where, and am planning to know what protocols etc relate to which OSI levelbut other than that . .. . .

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I think that you should also know how the different protocols interact with each other, i.e. how they communicate between the layers.

8)

3. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

You should be very comfortable with the OSI before sitting the Net+. Make an effort to get a very good conceptual understanding of it at this stage, it will pay off later too.

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  4. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

I found the concept of the OSI model a bit difficult at first, and if I'm honest I probably could (should?) have a better understanding of it now.

I would suggest you know all the layers, what order they are in, what their functions are, and what devices operate at what layer.

It may take a wee bit more reading but it's guaranteed to have some bearing on more than one question in the exam.

Have you downloaded the free study guide from Cramsession?

https://www.cramsession.com/certifications/products/list-study-guides.asp

I have so far found their guides to be quite useful (and free :biggrin ). They just condense the relevant points into one document. Not sufficient as your only means of study, but helpful nonetheless.

You have to register, but it is free. I could email it to you if you like, size is about 1.2MB PDF format.

Best of luck.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Probably not a good idea to take shortcuts this early in your certification path mate.

I’m studying for the Network+ as well just now and I know what you mean about the OSI model, there is loads to remember! Perhaps spend some extra time on just the OSI model if you feel that’s one of your weak areas so far, it’ll pay off when you sit the exam! 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

It takes a while to get your head round the OSI layer but it's a very important foundation to be familiar with.

As mentioned look at it from the angle of what devices and protocols funtion at what layer.

Read this

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  7. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thanks guys.

Looks like I'll be going over and re studying the OSI model a few times before I take the Exam. :biggrin

I wasn't Originally going to take the Network +, but decided that I needed it when I did a practice test for my 70-270 and was lost regarding one of the questions when It threw a network schematic into it.

I've been studying it for a week, and hoping to take the Exam next week some time. (I've been putting in 6/10 hour days on it, and vaguely remember some of the stuff from the 70-058 - which I believe was the Networking essentials part for MSCE NT4 - the first time I decided to do my MCSE was back. I still have the exam cram MCSE book set on NT, too. :oops: )

Thanks again Chaps, and chappesses (If any replied, of course.)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard