1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSI Layers on the N+

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Luddym, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Reading my Sybex book on OSI tonight, it says that . . . .
    'Layers session, presentation, application' will not be on the Network+ Exam.

I've just looked at the Objectives and there it says . . . 'Identify the seven layers of the OSI model, and their functions.'

Has anyone who took the exam, remember if they had any questions on these 3 layers?

I know it's asking a lot though, so no worries guys if the answer is a big 'i duuno.' :)

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes - all 7 layers appeared in my exam. (IIRC I was asked what sort of things happened in the Presentation layer).

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

:D Cheers for that.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Shame on Sybex for saying that. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Ok ludd hopes this helps ya... I've made a table to help me with the OSI.

7- Application DEVICE-Gateways PROTOCOLS- NCP, SMB, NCP
    DESCRIPTION- Where redirector services are run, and application protocols such as POP3 SMTP and FTP work.

6-Presentation DEVICE-Gateways PROTOCOLS- NCP DESCRIPTION- Responsible for data encryption, compression and formatting

5-Session DEVICE- Gateways PROTOCOLS-NETBIOS, SAP,
    DESCRIPTION- Manages the data sessions between network devices.

4-Transport DEVICE-Gateways PROTOCOLS-TCP, UDP, NETBEUI, SPX
    DESCRIPTION- Controls the reliable transmission and transfer of data packets. Manages the data flow and performs fragmentation / defragmentation.

3-Network DEVICE-Router, Brouters, pROTOCOLS-IP, IPX, DHCP, ARP, RIP, OSPF, ICMP, RARP. NLSP
    DESCRIPTION- Responsible for the routing and addressing of traffic. Uses logical IP addressing (IP address) and frame (datagram) sequencing

2-Data Link DEVICES-Switches, Bridges, WAP,Brouters VLAN, MAC, LLC,
    DESCRIPTION- Responsible for CRC checking and generation, sets rules for addressing network devices, performs flow control and frame synchronisation. MAC addresses are layer 2.

1-Physical DEVICES-Hubs, Repeaters, Media converters, NICs, WAP PROTOCOLS-Ethernet, Token Ring, DESCRIPTION-The layer responsible for the electrical, physical and media specifications of the network. It covers the hardware involved.

Well was sposed to be a table but couldnt cut and paste its layout right......

I know on the practice tests i've used there have been some (only a few) questions on layers 6 & 7 as well as the usual ones on 1 to 4.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

That's great Twizz. Thanks for that, looks like it will definately help. :)