OS exam question

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Who's answer is right?

Mike Meyer book

WINNT32.EXE is the program to start an upgrade to Windows NT, 2000, XP, while in the Windows GUI. From the command line interface, you use WINNT.EXE.

Self Test Software

What is the syntax for performing an upgrade from a Windows 98 SE command prompt to Windows 2000 Professional

Answer:
    You should use the winnt32 utility to perform an upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows 2000. winnt32 is a 32bit utility included in the Windows 2000 Professional installation CD that can be run from the Windows 9x. Windows NT,2000,XP command prompts. Running winnt32 at the command prompts starts the installation process of Windows 2000 Professional.

Which answer is correct these explanation conflict.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Both are right but Myers' explanation is not very clear. Winnt.exe is used from within DOS or Windows 3.x (ie. 16-bit OSs) and winnt32.exe is used in 32-bit OSs such as Win 9x and NT. HTH.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Professor-Falken

Could you help me understand. So when would use WINNT and when would you use WINNT32.Maybe you could give a website that explains more in detail. I thought I had this down. Trying to take the OS test before the deadline.

Thanks,
    Professor Falken

4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

You would use winnt32.exe if you're upgrading versions of windows from Windows 95 and above (98,Me,NT,2000). These are 32 bit operating systems hence the '32' in the name of the command winnt32.

You would use winnt.exe for 16 bit operating systems which would be the ones pre-Windows 95.

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Actually Mike Myres doesn't make it clear what he is saying.

Prof, as has been explained already in this thread there are two ways to upgrade to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. One is from within a windows session ie you are running windows and the other is from DOS.

Windows is 32 bit operating system (OS) and DOS is a 16 bit OS.

Now this is where it gets confusing, so bear with me.

Windows 95 and 98 / 98SE and ME are 32 bit operating systems but they run on top of DOS (16 bit).

Windows 2000 and XP are true 32 bit OSs.

If you are running Windows (32 bit) and you want to kick off the upgrade, you need to use the 32 bit upgrade program WINNT32.EXE

If you want to upgrade or install Windows 2000/XP from DOS (a 16 bit operating system), you have to use the 16 bit program WINNT.EXE

Now if you are in Windows and you shell out to the command prompt (run command) you are effectively still in a Windows session ie Windows is still running hence even though you are looking at a DOS prompt you still need to use WINNT32.EXE

In these earlier incarnations of Windows, if you chose to re-start in DOS mode, the system will only load DOS and so you would use WINNT.EXE

If you are booting from a DOS bootable disk, you would use WINNT.EXE

In short WINNT.EXE from a pure DOS environment - WINNT32.EXE from within a Windows session.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Professor-Falken

WINNT32.EXE is the program to start an upgrade to Windows NT, 2000, XP, while in the Windows GUI.

Does this mean from My Computer or Explorer click WINNT32
    From Explorer - Click - WINNT32

Can you upgrade from the run command in the GUI. If so would you use WINNT OR WINNT32

Professor Falken

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Prof can you please refrain from starting a new thread when you already have an active thread going on the same subject. :blink

This is twice in the past five minutes and I am having trouble keeping up with you and having to merge them :eek:

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, if windows is running, use WINNT32.EXE, it doesn't matter whether it is in My Computer, Windows Explorer or whatever.

If you are running a 16 bit OS (DOS being the most likely) use WINNT.EXE

9. Professor-Falken

Bluerinse you are a life saver. Your explanation was exactly what I was looking for thanks again. I will probably have some more questions. Really thanks again.

Professor Falken

10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I got told to use WINNT for clean install and WINNT32 for upgrades.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

That is correct!