OS exam question - Windows NT/2000/XP tools

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Content removed as it has been deemed inappropriate due to copyright infringement.

These are our rules..

[Edit Mod action bluerinse]

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Well B is really a last resort, C is not right because Win 2000 didn't have a recovery console and D is wrong because you haven't changed the system configuration. Safe Mode should be the first port of call for most problems of this nature as long as you can get a system to boot that far. You are familiar with how Safe Mode works and what it does are you?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Did you use the process of elimination or do you really understand under which circumstance to use which tool?

Thanks for the input will go over the uses for each tool again in the Mike Meyers book.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  4. Baba O'Riley

Both! Safe mode would have been my first answer anyway.

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes it did, Windows 2000 invented it :p

As with XP, it is not installed by default, you have to use the cmdcons switch as described here..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216417

And Prof, once again can you please stop posting actual questions. They are copyrighted and could get us (the forum) in deep $hyte.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Prof, do you understand what safe mode is?

7. Baba O'Riley

My bad, I haven't had much experience with 2000. Anyway, assuming it's similar to the XP one, none of the available commands are really likely to help you solve this type of problem without knowing exactly what the problem is. The first thing to do would be boot to Safe Mode and look in event viewer for any failed drivers etc that may be causing the problem.

8. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I actually would of thought D - why would that be wrong?

9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Last known Good would have restarted the pc in a state that was known to be good. This is really if you have installed a driver and it mis-behaves and stops the OS from booting. You use LAst Known Good and it starts the system without that driver loaded. As there has been no changes to the system, then this option will not do anything.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also, for people sitting Microsoft exams. If you can *log in* before the PC throws a wobbly, LKG (last known good) won't work because the registry settings will be over written. It can work wonders if you haven't got to the login screen.

11. Mr.Cheeks

if thats the case, then the system *should* be working... even if it was infected then, the system registry and what not would of been changed - or am i looking at this in the wrong way?

I have always thought of the LKG to be like the only and latest "restore point", whereas System Restore "restores" point created waaaay before aswell.... ...and one more point, i also thought that LKG was only applicable to Hardware errors and not Software...:rolleyes:

12. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

As far as windows is concerned it saves the current control set in the registry HKEYLM\SYSTEM

All windows is looking for is a successful login. If anything happens after the login then the LKG is irrelevant. So if after making changes the system freezes on restart and you can't log in then LKG would be your next port of call.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  13. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

I would pick B, because Safe Mode would not help unless you know directly what the problem is and how to proceed to fix it. That doesn't seem to be the issue in this case. I also chose that option because of an incident that happened to me in the past.

Nothing was wrong with my system, but it just decided not to boot. It even said that my C:\ drive was infected by a virus or formated using fdisk (some of you guys here should know the message). And believe me, I got real scared, cuz I had alot of important stuff on the drive and NOTHING was wrong with it! So I just inserted my XP cd in hopes of beginning a new installation and forgetting about the data I lost. The cd loaded the boot files and restarted as usual. After that, the system booted from the hard drive and everything was back to normal! Just imagine the shocking (and grinning) expression on my face when I saw that old familiar desktop and icons! All my system needed to do was run the bootdisk to fix whatever files that got corrupted mysteriously overnight. But whether its XP or 2000, using the bootdisks in a case like this seems to be wise instead of Safe Mode (unless you know what to change in there).

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  14. Baba O'Riley

You can use Safe Mode to investigate the problem. Eg, check Event Viewer. Doing a repair installation is, IMO, a last resort as, although you may have been lucky in the past, there is always a risk that you may lose data.

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

So... is nobody going to remove the copyrighted content from this post?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nag nag nag - you're worse than my wife :p

17. Mr.Cheeks

how do you know?

saying that, his recent pool of questions do seem a bit dodgy, but with the amount of copyrighted posts thats been happening over the last week or so, i would of thought it would be obvious think not to post CRighted Material (to our regular members)

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

well said, looks like the whole MM book (or wherever the questions have come from) has been posted here.

In fairness it looks likes an honest mistake by the poster 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Mr.Cheeks

Prof - Apologises if i get the below wrong...

Sparky mate - in all honest, having a quick think about it, yes i would agree with what you have said re mistake, however, Prof has been asking questions (similar to the original one that started this thread) for like 2 weeks now (here i am assuming he's started (or *properly) studying MMs book...

at around the same time, BBM has mentioned about copyrighting material, UCM (sorry mate) had posted the same type of question, Pete had mentioned this stuff already, and it's all within a reasonable time-frame aswell...

the only way i can think that The Prof did not know about posting copyrighted material was not allowed, is if, The Prof only read the threads he had created and no other, other than that, he was probably hopeing that no-one would realise...

The Prof - this is my opionon and if i have got it all wrong, apologises...

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

OK Guys, we've now dealt with the copyright issues raised here, and contacted the original poster with regards to this thread. I'd ask you all (whether you have contributed or not to this thread) to read THIS PINNED THREAD which I believe is pinned on all subject forums, stating CertForums position on posting of copyright material.

So let's move on and learn from this now - if you want to discuss any specific issues raised here, please check in with me or any Mod... I'm sure the Prof has taken this on board by now :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity