O'Reilly ebooks

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by greenstarthree, Sep 28, 2013.

1. greenstarthree

greenstarthree Nibble Poster

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to get updated versions of MS Press Training Kit PDF eBooks, having bought the paper copies from Amazon?

For example I have the 70-640 Training Kit (2nd Edition), which comes with a PDF eBook on CD. However there are some errors in the PDF version and the odd image that doesn't quite display correctly.
    The O'Reilly errata site is pretty good and detailed, and I notice that if you buy an eBook from them you can download an updated version when available.
    Just wondered if anyone had done this and if there's a way to update the version that came with my paper book?

Thanks
    Adam

Certifications: MCP, MCTS 70-640, MCTS 70-642, MCSA 70-646
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If it's the PDF then it's bound to the edition you bought, I'm guessing. In the same way you wouldn't get an updated paper book, the PDF will not be reissued. It's one of the rare ebook perks. When I update my own ebooks the delivery platform allows the users to dynamically update their copies; not sure how you'd do that with the PDF which (I'm guessing) came on CD?

At a stab, you could email O'Reilly and ask them?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. greenstarthree

Thanks for the reply,

Yeah I just emailed them actually, just in case there's some way to register the fact I already have a digital copy of the book.

So the eBooks that you buy directly from O'Reilly are in an editable format? Yeah the book came with a CD with a PDF and XPS copy on it, but I suppose that's more so that you can take it with you on your laptop tablet when travelling etc for reference, as opposed to being a full on digital book?

In any case, looking at the site it allows you to register your paper book using its ISBN, and then buy an eBook version (which I presume includes any errata updates) for $4.99, which is pretty reasonable I think.

I'll see what their email says too. Thanks again!

4. greenstarthree

Just in case the info is useful to anyone else:

O'Reilly's reply was, as we thought, the only way to get an updated version of the PDF was to use my paper book's ISBN on their website and 'upgrade' it to their ebook for $4.99.

The PDF included on the CD that came with my paper copy, weirdly, is a different 'revision' to that of the paper book itself, but anyway it's secured and as is.

But actually for what you get for the extra 5 dollars, it's a pretty good deal. You can link to a Dropbox account so new revisions are automatically delivered. Plus you get the ebook in ePub, Mobi, and PDF formats, which means you can send it to a Kindle too, where it supports full reflow and the images even display, albeit in greyscale.

Pretty good all in all, and it means I'll be able to read on long train journeys to London on a nice e-ink screen!

Cheers!
    Adam