Oracle Certified Associate (OCA).

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fatp, Jun 14, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Is the Oracle Certified Associate (OCA) for Oracle 9i and 10g the equivalent of the (MCDBA) for ms server 2005? in terms of rdbms's?

what has more value in industry? regardless of professional experience in industry!

do many people on certforums have it?

fatp :)

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

What do you mean by 'what has more value?'. If you mean what can earn you more money, regardless of experience then you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. The professional experience is the most important thing.

To truly learn how to use something, be it OCA or MS quals, you need to be using them day in, day out.

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To be honest the only reason why one cert would have more "value" than another is that it geared up towards the technology that that company is actaully using. For example a MCSE would be more valued than a RCHE in a MS environment, just like a RCHE would be more valued in a Linux environment than a MCSE.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Er... without experience? Neither has value.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

That’s not quite true. Certification does have value. It shows you have the ability to apply yourself to learn and understand IT topics. It gives you a quantifiable base line of knowledge on a specific area of IT. It makes your CV stand out against that of a candidate with no certification. Certification does have a value, otherwise what would be the point in doing certs. It’s all about putting it in perspective, not dismissing its value.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  6. BosonMichael

Without experience, neither has value to an employer who is looking to hire an Oracle DBA or a Microsoft DBA. You're welcome to your opinion, but I disagree based on experience.

A candidate with no certification and experience will *always* beat a candidate with certification and no experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

That is true, however many of the folks on CF are still not working in IT, looking for their first jobs. A candidate with no experience and certification will beat a candidate with no experience and no certification. I am not denying the importance of experience, I fully agree with you on that point. My point is that with or without experience certification still has a value to the holder.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  8. BosonMichael

What I'm saying, Nightwalker, is this: how can one get a DBA job without first working in IT? Dude, it's not possible, even with certification. I've been in IT for years, have an OCP certification, and I would STILL find it hard to get an Oracle DBA job because I don't have any experience using it in a live environment. Thus, **my** OCP doesn't have any value other than the fact that I can write a practice exam product about it.

Someone with no IT experience shouldn't be pursuing the MCDBA or OCA certifications; they should be pursuing the A+, Network+, MCDST, and most importantly, an entry-level IT job... not a DBA job.

9. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

So... Micheal... why do you have an OCP then?

You've said many a time on this forum, certifications are a waste of time without relevant experience! and that they only back up the skills you have. So my point is you may have used it home but not in a 'real life work environment' so...

How come you have a certification which is pointless / 'useless' to yourself? and why did you waste your time studying for it when YOU dont even have any DBA experience? Are you just cert crazy or what?

Please explain, i'm very confused...

10. BosonMichael

Because my case is unique: I wrote practice exam questions for those exams. I was required to get it by my employer. After all, you do want someone who is certified writing practice exam questions for you, don't you? As as result, I ended up with the Oracle 9i OCP.

You don't see me studying for the 10g upgrade certification. Why? Because I'm not required to write products for the 10g exams, and I'm not administering a 10g server.

You also don't see me using my OCP certification to try to get a DBA job. Why? Because I don't have that experience. But I *am* able to write practice exam questions on that product, so in that way, it has SOME relevance to what I do. Thus, I list the OCP certification in my sig.

For the record, I do have DBA experience... just not Oracle DBA experience.

11. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

excellent.