Opera 9.5

Discussion in 'Software' started by ffreeloader, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I just installed this, and I have to say, it is both faster than the Fox, and much nicer than Opera 8. I couldn't stand it, but this version has a very nice interface.

I'm very impressed with it in my first few minutes of surfing. I didn't think there was much that could get me to move away from Firefox, but this just might do it. I'll have to see how the next few days go with it but, WOW, am I impressed so far.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I've preferred Opera to IE or FF since it became free a while back and yes it is faster too :)

Glad to see you posting again Freddy! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. ffreeloader

Thanks Bluerinse.

I could not stand the interface on the last release. It worked fine, it just was so ugly I couldn't stand to use it. This new release has a much cleaner, nicer interface.

4. ffreeloader

Got to looking at skins for the new Opera yesterday and found one that is called exee_style, and I really like it. It's super clean and very smooth looking. The new version looked much better than any of the past ones, at least to me, but this skin really makes it "pop" for me.

Whoever designed this skin really has it going in the graphical design area. All the bars such as address bar, tab bar, and main bar blend together so nicely that it all looks like just one bar with a couple of different shades of color that blend together very nicely.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I've only used opera once, when it was version 8 and never liked it then. I just installed Opera 9.5 and I've got to say it is much better then before and it is faster then FF. I'll also use it for a few days to see how I like it.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. ffreeloader

Yeah, it's pretty amazing how much improvement they have made in the areas of appearance and usability. It's quantum leap forward in my opinion.

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I used opera for ages
    I'm actually a card carrying paid up user! (back from version 5 or 6)

I moved over the the Fox not really for speed (FF is slow as hell compared to Opera) but the extensibility of the platform really gave me many more options for browsing simplicity

my del.icio.us plug is the one i really can't live without, there are a few others but not so much

I think ill give 9.5 a go and see what it has to offer, works on MAC too which is good :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. ffreeloader

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. I've certainly been impressed, as I always thought of Opera as a second-class browser. No more though.

9. ffreeloader

After a few days of use, my opinion of Opera 9.5 has gone up. It has a really slick mail client that also is configured for mailing lists and news feeds. It's so slick that it automagically figured out what the different mailing lists were and puts all messages for each list in their own folders. That's a first for any email client/mailing list client software I have used.

There was one slight bug but I found the fix fairly rapidly, and that was in relation to the order in which two different libraries were loaded in Opera with respect to to Java, so Java applets didn't work at first. However, Opera provides a debug mode for java that can be used from the bash prompt, and the debugger not only identified the problem, it fixed it also.

Like I said, this is one great browser. The further I dig, the better I like it. I've now made it my default browser.

10. oztrailrider

oztrailrider Nibble Poster

I am just giving it a go now. It seems really nice, it is just a shame that it is not compatible with google docs at the moment. I am using it a lot for my 70-270 study.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: A+