Openittraining.com/ microsoftuk.co.uk

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Aizen, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Aizen

Aizen New Member

Hello, i have been given an online course via openittraining.com and was just trying to find a little info about the company, iv'e not been able to find much in the way of reviews which seems odd. From the reviews i did find they all seemed to be negative. Does anyone have experience in using this website? Should i complete the course or try to get a refund?

Thanks.

2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

You say you were given a course, but mention a refund. How much have you paid for this?

The fact that they list MCSA:Windows 7 as entry level, and advertise that you get an MCSA in Windows 7 would make me suspicious - MS retired the MCSA in Windows 7 last year

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Aizen

Aizen New Member

I didn't pay anything for it, a family member gave it to me as a christmas present. As I haven't done any online courses before I decided to try and do abit of research and from what i read, the company uses "braindumps" and other posts saying to stay clear away from the site, a few from this forum but they were posted a few years back.

I don't know if a refund could be possible, i've not got round to taking any of the tests as of yet.

4. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Generally any company that Classifies an MCSA in Server 2012 as an entry level exam, tend to by lying and pull in customers. the fact they also say they'll help you get work afterwards is another red flag.

If you haven't paid anything, i guess you've got nothing to lose - but don't go for a site that uses braindumps, it defies all logic and devalues accreditations in IT, if you got a job based on braindump training for exams, you'll find yourself in a whole world of pain when it comes to the fact you've hit the wrong button on a server configuration and your new boss wants to know why you didn't know this having passed a server 2012 exam :)

I'd explore the refund route, and check out some of the other posts on this forum as to the ways others new in the field went - the majority of guys do self study, and it's paid off for many - myself included many years ago.

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
    Pseudonym likes this.
  5. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston New Member

I too made the mistake of using OpenITTraining this was ... is... for the CCNA cert.
    The video on the study is actually not bad, to be honest. But as there is not documentation its hard to revisit certain area to refresh your memory. The CCNA labs you have to connect via RDP!!! this is very poor, slow connection (not my side) and having the guide and the lab in a small window is just the worst. You cannot even save the guide and transfer it to your own PC. Allowing you to have the instructions on one screen and the lab itself on another. the support is not great - I could not access the RDP on Friday, nearly a week later still no reply saying they fixed it, or working on it etc... I have the exam next year but because of how they do the training and provide support not sure if I'll be ready for it!! what a waste of money :-(

6. Alexus

Alexus New Member

Oh my god, I thought I was the only one. I'm seriously suspicious that they delete negative feedback because there are no reviews for this company anywhere!!! I've been kicked off the CCNA course, despite them agreeing a 6 month extension to my course - And the course structure is awful. I put in 273 hours of study time and have learnt about half of it!!!! It's been awful. Only 1 tutor there actually knows what he's talking about and honestly I'm living a nightmare. I've wasted the last year for nothing! I was gonna get out after the ICND1 section which would have given me the CCENT, but I cannot do that any longer

7. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston New Member

You are not the only one. It is awful, I'm actually gutted for my place of work - they paid for the course - which I do not believe I'll be passing.
    Sometimes think it would of been easier if I had paid for it.

O and today - I thought during my dinner, I would RDP (yes RDP) onto their server that hosts the MOCK exams for the CCNA. Only to find that ALL students are given the same logon details!!!! I connected up and I found some other students MOCK Exam open, with that students name & email address on display - Data Protection issues there I think - I'll never use them again.

And as you may know Cisco ended the exam 200-120 (my paid for exam) last exam August 2016.
    I only found out in Jan 2017 about this. So I ask do I get an amendment to the existing course (like an extra one or two chapters cover the new stuff in the newer version of exam) o no, you have to start with a new student id and start a fresh course, giving me 2 months to fit in a 12 month course - not even an extension to the course!!

Sorry I had a little bit of a rant there didn't I :-)

8. Alexus

Alexus New Member

check OpenIT training on facebook. They're possibly leaving fake reviews. The careers advisor who emailed me, ~Grant Pritchard has posted a 5/5 star review

9. Alexus

Alexus New Member

I also suspect that the reviewers are the same person. I've just collected screenshots :O

10. Alexus

Alexus New Member

"And as you may know Cisco ended the exam 200-120 (my paid for exam) last exam August 2016.
    I only found out in Jan 2017 about this. So I ask do I get an amendment to the existing course (like an extra one or two chapters cover the new stuff in the newer version of exam) o no, you have to start with a new student id and start a fresh course, giving me 2 months to fit in a 12 month course - not even an extension to the course!! "

I've just got an email through a couple of hours ago from Cisco. They've completely changed the course structure, like you mentioned. This is wrong and shady as fudge. I think I'm going to consult citizens advice if they refuse to give me a course refund. I cannot believe I have to start ICND1 again!!!

11. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I know it's a bit late now, but these training providers aren't necessary you know? The CCNA has loads of good resources. Buy a book, watch some videos, build a lab, buy some practice exams maybe.. Take the exam. It'd probably just make sense to cut your losses at this point. Move on and learn from it.

I feel like even training providers that aren't complete cowboys know they're ripping people off. They're just a middle man. They offer no value.

Sorry if that's coming across as blunt. Just trying to offer some advice, but I'm not great at being subtle or sensitive.

12. Alexus

Alexus New Member

To be honest, I didn't really realise this. My assumption was to go with a provider as they'd offer some sort of structure. Open IT did no such thing, at least from my perspective i.e. I found it too difficult to follow - Chapters were either ridiculously short or excessively long, no exercises / activities, no indication as to how to successfully approach their material. I guess I'd really need a study book for CCENT and free interactive lab simulations that would help drill theory into me, but the book I'm looking at CCENT ICND1 Study Guide: Exam 100-105 Paperback – 19 Aug 2016 by Todd Lammle doesn't seem to make it clear on amazon if labs are included and neither do the reviews

13. Pseudonym

So, I haven't done a Cisco exam yet. But, my approach to Microsoft exams and labbing are, go through the exam objectives/topics.. So here's the exam topics for CCENT

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd1/exam-topics

Find anything that says 'configure' - and lab it. For instance:

2.5 Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interswitch connectivity

• 2.5.a Trunk ports
    • 2.5.b 802.1Q
    • 2.5.c Native VLAN
    • 2.6 Configure and verify Layer 2 protocols
    • 2.6.a Cisco Discovery Protocol
    • 2.6.b LLDP
    Literally find a guide/video on the internet and configure it. As far as I'm aware the Cisco study materials are really good and map well to the exams, so you'll probably be walked through this in the books anyway, or CBT nuggets/trainsignal videos will walk through them. Or even Youtube.

In my opinion, it serves you better in the long run to be self sufficient with this stuff anyway, cause it gives you practice finding the answers on your own and going through a process of trial and error, which you will inevitably have to do on the job. Don't doubt that you can do it on your own. Most people here do it this way, it's the cheapest and in my opinion the best way to study.

14. Alexus

Alexus New Member

That's cool. Thanks for your help

15. Pseudonym

And, just to clarify, when I say lab it, I mean literally hook up a load of switches and routers, find the appropriate walkthrough on the internet/wherever and configure that feature. I didn't really understand what labbing entailed until I started doing it, but you'll probably find that you learn more doing this and messing everything up for 2 hours, then finally getting it working than hoping for a pre-configured environment where you're walked through a couple of commands and given a pat on the back.

16. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston New Member

100-105 is the latest version - so that's good. I assume you was doing the 100-101 (this ended in August 2016) prior to that?

17. Alexus

Alexus New Member

Ah yes, most likely

I'm going to give my course one last shot after deliberating this over the weekend as I wouldn't be able to respect myself if I didn't

18. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston New Member

Good luck. I have my CCNA exam in next few weeks - not looking forward to it after the late changes. But as its already paid for - see how it goes.

19. Alexus

Alexus New Member

Best of luck Chris. I'm rooting for you

chrisjohnston likes this.