Opening local office documents takes ages

Discussion in 'Software' started by michael78, Oct 6, 2010.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Had this problem ages ago and fixed it but for the life of me can't remember how. If she opens a document directly on her desktop it takes a long time to open but if she goes into Word and then opens it through file and open it opens no problem. Tried the usual things of deleting the normal.dat file and doing a repair but that doesn't fix the issue. Any ideas?

Cheers in advance :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. jamesclimax

jamesclimax Nibble Poster

try removing the Office registry key, then retrying

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS
    WIP: MCTS 70-659, Oracle, SQL, ITIL
  3. michael78

Cheers mate I'll give it a go. I'll let you know if it fixes it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. michael78

doesn't work :(

5. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Try do a complete uninstall of Microsoft Office and reinstall or if you can do a system restore of last time it worked properly.

One question is it just this file or opening up any other files as well?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  6. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

Does this occur on every user profile, or just this one?

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  7. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I was going to mention the same thing... I would check to see if it works on a different user porfile.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  8. michael78

Can't check as she is in Sweden and connected via VPN.

9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Usually it's an anti virus scanning the file first.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. michael78

They use Symantec and disabled Auto-protect but it still does it. Seems to be a well known issue but has lots of different causes and fixes which I've tried.

11. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Tell her to open it via word and stop moaning.

Certifications: A few.
  12. michael78

lol I wished I could mate

13. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

We had a similar issue at work last year, I don't remember how was it solved but it had to do with templates. I know it doesn't help much but it is a bit of a clue isn't it? :P

you could also try to deactivate any add-ins that are not needed - office button -> word options -> add-ins
    as found here: http://forums.techarena.in/ms-office-support/1105659.htm

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need new Anti-Virus software then. :biggrin

Also does opening the document through word bypass AV?? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. michael78

It seems to be a pretty common problem with a multitude of reasons and fixes which none work :(

16. michael78

Tried the add-ins but it's not that causing it and I did have issues years ago with templates causing similar problems but this is happening on all office documents such as Excel and Word. Cheers anyways for the reply.

17. Sparky

Do you get the same problem if the word doc is in the root of the C:\ drive or from a different location from the desktop?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  18. michael78

Got to be honest I didn't try another location mate.

19. Sparky

Worth a shot to gather some more info.

20. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have also had the same problem. I've found that usually it's due to the file looking for and trying to access links to a server location from the file.

She could try opening it in word and then saving it to the desktop again as a different file name and see if that makes a difference.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685