Opening folders taking too long

Discussion in 'Software' started by mikehende, May 2, 2006.

1. mikehende

mikehende Kilobyte Poster

Well guys, I have tried CHKDSK, MEMTEST, sfc/scannow, defrag and restore, nothing worked, the video folders are still hanging, anything else that I can try?

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

are you the dude i was posting about the codec? btw: none of what you mentioned has anything to do with your problem, if your the dude im thinking of?

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

not knowing too much about the problem, what applications are taking so long have you considered that you might be running out of RAM? Everything you see takes place in RAM. I have seen old P3's that appear to be as quick as a higher spec P4 because they have much more RAM....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. mikehende

Yeah Cheekmaster, I'm the dude, since this site crashed over the weekend we lost all of the threads I had created so I could not find your link to the Divx free player which is about the only thing I haven't gotten around to as of yet, can you post it again please?

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I seriously doubt that a missing codec is the reason for this.

I think it is more likely that either a trojan/virus is hooking system calls, or that there is some setting in Explorer doing silly things.

EDIT: How many files are there in this folder?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

mikehende,

Try the following link.

Relevant links:
    1 ) Problems in Windows Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update M506-015 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  7. Mr.Cheeks

If my memory serves me right, this is a brief descrip of Mike's problem;

he is running Win XP 200gb hdd, 512ram? He transfer some VHS onto his computer, not sure of what software he used...

the output files are in a folder say [vhstrans], whenever Mike opens the folder called vhstrans, his system hangs on him and can do no more, he is able to open every other folder and run other video files, except the ones in the [vhstrans] folder due to the hang up.

I sugessted the problem may be a particular codec missing on his pc, the reason for this is; i was doing quite a few video conversions some time ago and came across the exact same problem, except 1 point - i had a error message and Mike does not...

The codec i used to solve the problem was Divx and said download the free bundle and see if that helps, although he does not need to use the player... (codec installs when you install the program)...

Anyway, thats what i can remember, if anyone else can help; please do so...

8. mikehende

I am having problems opening any of the subfolders within my main video folder. I will attempt to download the Divx again and this install the free player as you've suggested. A lot of people are telling me that this may be a memory problem but I can't see this simply becuase when I had 80gb's of video files in there, never had this problem, now that I have only 5gb's of files in there, this problem appears, doesn't add up.

9. Mr.Cheeks

"they" mean "memory" as in RAM not hdd... btw, you have got 512mb of RAM, haven't you?

10. mikehende

yes, I have 512RAM and yes, I know this is what they ae referring to. Going to work on Divx now.

11. mikehende

Installed the Divx player bundle, restarted the pc then checked the video folders, same problem, looks like I may have to increase the memory after all to see if that solves it.

12. Mr.Cheeks

See everyone! Thats what happens when The Cheek Master tries: Nothing! :mad

13. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

does this happen with any folder that contains video files or only a certain one(s)?

1. try deleting the thumbs.db file, as it could be corrupted.
    2. run > regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    3. reinstall your codecs and players. your AV/anti-xware might have deleted an a necessary file.

(yeah, those are seperate solutions, not steps).

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  14. mikehende

Moved only the MPEG Movie files out of the main video folder and found out that it is the MPEG Movie files while being in the folder that is causing the problem, any ideas why the problem with only these files?

15. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

yes, because they are missing a codec/part of one (file) that are associated with those type of files and windows keeps trying to load it, but can't find it so it screws up.

did you even try any of my suggestions?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  16. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Surely this would mean that Explorer is trying to 'interpret' these files?

If you stop it doing thumbnails and the like then they are just 'files'.

This is why I suggested that it was an Explorer setting.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  17. mikehende

No, not yet as I am trying to find the "cause" of this problem and with more exprimenting I have narrowed it down to the TMPGEnc software which I am using to convert the original mpeg2 files to DVD-Compliance, seems that the system is hanging when the converted file is being outputted to the folders.

18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, I would go for that, make sure the view is in Explorer is 'Icons' or something similar.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Mr.Cheeks

tmpeg encoding software does that quite often - dont know why, but it does.

20. mikehende

ok, so then can we safely say that this is a problem that is associated only with the TMPGEnc software therefore no need for me to do anything further except to switch to another software?