Opening/Dealing with CRT is part of A+??

Discussion in 'A+' started by SjN, Sep 24, 2009.

1. SjN

SjN New Member

I saw that in Mike Meyers it explains how to open and discharge a CRT monitor.

In Sybex it was mentioned many times not to open the CRT because it's too dangerous and it's not part of an A+ certified person.

2. SjN

SjN New Member

it's not part of A+ certified person's job.*

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s something you should never attempt IMO. MM opens up the monitor to show you how to discharge the monitor and highlight how dangerous it is when a CRT is opened up.

If a CRT is playing up and isn’t under warranty then chuck it for a new TFT.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I think the official policy is that monitors should only be opened by qualified electrical tecnicians :)
    If there is anything in the A+ about it, the answer would be likely to never open it (same as a PSU).

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree, CRTs should never be opened up by anyone other than a qualified electronics technician, that has been trained how to safely work in HT and EHT environments.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
    Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)