Openfiler Hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael78, May 30, 2010.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

We use these ones(4 way) on our p400(SAS drives) isn't the P400 SAS(3GB) and SATA150?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Think I''m going to cry if it's SATA150

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Soz Sly but according to this page it is , like I said we use it for SAS drives and its great for them

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  4. michael78

Zeb, forgot to ask mate take it you run your openfiler with 1 Hardware RAID card using SATA disk's? If so what RAID configuration do you use and what is the performance like running all them VM's at once as I would of thought they would run like a dog with the performance of SATA. Just want to get an idea of what I can run at once on a similar setup.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

RAID 5 ftw and if the likes of NetApp and EMC use SATA in their SAN solutions I don't honestly think you will have much to worry about.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. michael78

It just seems a hell of a lot of VM's to run and normal SATA drives. Saying that i can't imagine I would be running more than 6 VM's at anyone time. I would of thought there would be a bottleneck even in a RAID 5 config.

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

SATA RAID5, five drives. Using only three or four performance is dreadful with SATA disks. It would probably be better with SCSI, but that's too expensive for what I need. I still don't get much in the way of IOPS, but I don't really mind that as it's only my home environment.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

That's why the likes of IOMeter or CrystalDiskMark are out there, they allow you to test your throughput to determine if you do have the right setup.

However trust me, your SATA disks will be fine for what you want to do with it (I even have a 4200rpm disk based HP 2510p running 4 vms and whilst it's initially slow to launch it soon speeds up when the machines are running).

Generally speaking there are two tiers of storage used in SANS, you have the SAS\FC based disks used for high IO through put (Exchange \ SQL) and you have the SATA based disks used for general fileshare or VM's. SATA isn't that slow, especially if you get the faster 10000rpm disks but even 7200rpm disks are just as good with the right controllers.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Interesting post Simon. I'm just about to move away from 7.2k SATA disks for my VMFS at work - the I/O on them is lousy and we hit them pretty hard with the 60-odd servers I have on there. I'm moving to 15k SAS - IOmeter shows I'll gain an improvement of well over 250% over the old SAN.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

The place I worked at last year implemented a NetApp SAN, they got their two tiers of storage and the tier 1 stuff was only for the Exchange and SQL servers, the Tier 2 was for the rest (including an Enterprise Vault). Now maybe that's because the controller in the NetApp was decent but they never really worried about the throughput on the tier 2 storage. Infact they got a second SATA shelf in the form of a Nexsan Sataboy to use as their DPM Storage Pool and they were backing up Exchange and SQL servers every 15 minutes on that.

11. michael78

Ahh right I just thought SATA was a big no-no in a business environment. Cheers for the info mate.

12. michael78

Zeb, cheers for the reply mate much appreciated :biggrin