Open University

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by dmarsh, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yup, you can have previous academic credits transferred to OU points, even if it isn't a complete degree etc.
    You need to get evidence of it and there is a fee.

I had my MS qualifications converted into OU points when they started doing it.

It was really funny, because they didn't know what I was talking about.
    I had to send them the link to their own website where it gave the details.
    It took them ages to sort out.

Word of advice with the OU - take time to plan your course as a whole.
    Some of it can be as bad as MS certs, where if you want a degree in IT, you need x number of points from this, x from that, you can do any of these courses but not those.

Don't just go for a course that sounds interesting but doesn't count towards what you want in the long run.
    As with certs, you could end up with 10 MCPs and still not be an MCSE.

Fortunately, they've got a handy little learning tracker thing on the website that lets you plan out your chosen path and keep it updated.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Which exams did you get credit on ?

I'm not too worried about a degree as I already have one, I'm just going to see how it goes and try and collect a certificate or two.

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think it's 70-270 and 70-290.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'd be interested in everyone's progress with their OU degrees - I graduated a couple of years ago from a full-time degree in Physics/IT but have always wanted to complete my Mathematics degree, with perhaps a splash of economics involved and thought about taking the OU route.

Fair play and good luck to all!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. RickUK

RickUK Nibble Poster

Hi

I am also doing Visual Basic, Jo. I loved programming in Basic when I was younger and I think that the course makes sense on a personal and professional basis.

Before I get going on the OU course, I have a lot of cramming to do to pass 70-271. It's going to be pretty intense. I take the exam on 24 September. Ideally I would like to be able to study for the other MCDST exam whilst doing the OU course but I am very aware that I this is all rather new for me and that I need to be realistic.

Regards
    Rick

WIP: 70-271