Open University

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by csx, Sep 11, 2007.

1. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Sorry for another topic on this but looking at starting a OU degree in IT in the next month or so and want to make the best possible choice.

I currently have a BTEC/HNC in IT and afaik i can get some points and skip the level one material.

Has anyone done this?

Secondly in another thread (http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread18741.html) greenbrucelee said you can mix and match subjects into a degree and get something like a BSc IT in Networks - how would one go about this? i've been looking at the courses etc and i'm not sure how mix and matching get this status? is there a practular path to take?

I would like to do networking and specialize in this, a BSc IT in Networks would be ace... does anyone know what courses i should take to do this?

One last question... how does getting credit actually work? do i need to sign up for a course first and then send of my HNC etc to get points or can i do it straight away?

All very confusing to me and would appreciate some help with others that have currently done this.

Thanks

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  2. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I can't help you with the specifics of your course or open university - but with a particular title or content for your degree course, I wouldn't worry about being too precise on getting something you want to go into (ie, BSc Networking as you want to do a networking job) - you with a degree in IT is better, and looks better to employers, than yourself without a degree at all.

Get involved though - and good luck with the course!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You need to watch the 'skip a level' thing.
    An OU qualification is based around the number of points you get - each course usually being worth 30 or 60.

There are also guidelines like 'you must gain x points from level one, x from level 2 and x from level 3'. If you skip level one, you'll just have to make up your points from level 2 or 3 courses, which are harder.

If, however, you have been to uni or some kind of higher ed - even if you didn't complete it or pass, you can still apply to have points awarded for this. The OU will charge you for this, and you will need a formal letter from your uni etc showing dates attended and test/exam scores.

From my experience, the number of points you get from this doesn't really make it worth while.

Pick a 60 point level one course that you know you can do, and go for it!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You can get an 'open degree' which is a mix of subjects, but I'm not sure if you'll find this much good, or if it will impress an employer. I think you're better off studying a subject and sticking with it.

The OU website gives some really good guidance about which courses you need to do for which qualification, and you can keep changing your mind as you go.

Once you are a student, your account on the website shows what you have completed and allows you to plan your future studies and assign your points to your chosen qualifications.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Just signed up for the Networked living: exploring information and communication technologies (T175) worth 30 points starting in Feb2008... gotta sort all the finance stuff etc.

See how that goes and then pick up the pass etc. :)

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd go to an open evening, they hold them every year in september i believe, might catch it or might have just missed it ! :biggrin

7. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

Theres a local event near me on the 29th September which i shall be attending for more advice etc! :)

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I'm with the OU, been with them since 1992. I haven't properly completed a course with them yet, either through bad luck, ill timing etc..

However looking soon to start again 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009