Open Uni or Part time Uni

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by vgarg, Jul 21, 2009.

1. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hi

I have recently completed my HNC Business Computing. I am now looking to convert it into a full degree. I have looked at two options:

Option 1
    http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?Q01B14
    A course from Open Uni which will be studied at home.

Option 2
    http://bucks.ac.uk/default.aspx?page=1114
    A part time evening course (2 days; 6-9 pm) studied at campus.

I am currently also looking for job to get into IT support and will hopeully have completed my A+ in the next 2 weeks (self study).

What do you guys recommend? Is there a third option?

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Anything that allows you to continue to get real-world experience (not just classroom or lab experience) in IT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have no personal experience of studying at "mainstream" University but I would recommend studying with the OU (albeit I am currently doing a BA not a BSc, so it's a slightly different beast).

With regards to practical experience, I get notifications from the Uni when they have opportunities for work experience placements in various subject areas (IT was one advertised recently) so they also proactively look to get their students work experience.

Just my 2c :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Entirely down to personal preferences and your situation.

I think direct tuition / face to face is generally better and more enjoyable than distance learning.

If your college is too far away or the lessons aren't that great etc, you are better of with distance learning / self study.

Actual colleges provide a social aspect which also helps, you can learn and communicate with a group.

Ultimately you can always self study anway just by buying a book to top up areas.

So I'd go with the college in general if its close and has a good reputation and supplement it with self study.

5. vgarg

vgarg Nibble Poster

Hey guys

I have started my Bsc at the local uni. Been 7 weeks now and it is very good so far. I feel I am learning more because I can ask the tutors and talk to other students.

Also the local uni provide career support so I am getting help from them as well.

Certifications: ECDL;CIW;HNC Business Computing
    WIP: A+;MCDST;N+;Bsc Computing
  6. csx

csx Megabyte Poster

I'm doing open uni Java programming Course at the moment and love it! Really have my mind set on this :) CCNA course starts in Feb and cannot wait as i will enjoy this loads more! Had books and equipment for CCNA for ages and never could motivate myself to study.... now i have an excuse with the OU :)

Not heading towards any degree path at the moment as i like all aspects of IT and studying towards things i will enoy :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, 70-271 & 70-272, CCENT, VCP5-DCV and CCNA
    WIP: Citrix
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It's personal preference whether you go down the OpenU or Local Uni route. I chose the local Uni option as it was cheaper for me to go down that route.

Yes in England there is a third option, the NVQ 4 (I say England as in Scotland, their SVQ 4 is equivilant to the HND) - regardless of if they (the company you work at) pay or you pay for it (and it may be even cheaper than an academic degree). However you need to be doing the work at that level.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security