Online training provider's career service???

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by numpty1978, Nov 26, 2008.

1. numpty1978

numpty1978 New Member

Morning all,
    After speaking with a few of the online training provider's out there regarding doing a course with them, nearly all I have spoken to seem to really push the fact that you are not only paying for a course, tutor support, exam fees etc etc but a big part of the fee goes to paying for someone within their firm to look for and help you into your first IT position.

What my question is, has anybody been through one of the training providers and actually gone into a job with the help of their careers service? You see all the testimonials on the sites recommending how helpfull they were etc etc but I could do with a second opinion from someone who has maybe already been through the system before I think about parting with my hard earned!!!

cheers guy's
    n

2. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Hi Numpty

I have had great success with a TP's career service.

You do have to remember though it is not all down to them. You do have to put some effort is as well.

MrM

3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

... and no-one can give you an absolute guarantee of a job, especially in the current climate !

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

I would stay well clear of any TP guaranteeing a job

5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Doesn't quite make sense to me... you're paying a training provider an excess to find you jobs when you could just sign up with a few agencies who will do it for nothing?

...Right.

And that's completely ignoring the fact you could job hunt yourself - monster, fish4 etc etc!

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

They're trying to sell you dream really and you want to believe them. They say, sign up with us and we'll give you really good training and guarantee you a job earning big ££££$$$$

Sounds great doesn't it?!

But in reality we hear about so many people that are disappointed with training providers that are providing poor training (I'm not saying they all do) and then worst of all you realise that these people are not going to be able to just magically give you that job earning BIG MONEY! Oh and you are £1000s of pounds out of pocket and in a worse situation than when you started.

Personally, I would advise self study with books, CBT software and hands on experience with equipment.

You can get that IT job, you can pass all the exams, you can make a decent living but there are no shortcuts unfortunately, you have to work hard for all these things. If you want it and are committed, you will succeed.

Mercury

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

<heartattack> :ohmy

Awww, Mach, why ya gotta be so negative? :twisted:

That said... I do agree.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!