Online Music - a rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Clyde, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

I recently downloaded quicktime to view a video and had itunes foisted on me... ye gods, why do s/w companies think this is a good idea... I'll just delete both after viewing the video...

anyhow, itunes 80p a tune got me thinking.. thats almost what I'd pay in the shops and for that I get no packaging and have DRM to contend with.

So.. I decided to try magnatune.com for comparison. I'd love to see this place succeed so thought I'd plug it.. DRM free music. You can listen to the whole album online and you pay what you feel its worth to get the music files. Good luck to them.. of course, its not mainstream artists.. but who cares...

bloody drm!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Clyde you could always go to http://www.oldversion.com and get the previous version of QT for free, and without ITunes! :biggrin

3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You can also go to www.pandora.com, although you only listen to a genre of music of your choosing - there is no downloading. They will link you to sites where you can buy songs if you like them.

Great idea.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

5. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

cheers simon... I'd forgotten about oldversion.com - actually, what Id do at a pinch is go through old cover disks... but the other evening I just wanted a quick fix! (which oldversion would have provided had I thought of it...)

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

ok, plenty of quicktime links there! Glad to see a standalone version.. I'm not a fan of quicktime, but some sites insist on it...

anyhow there ya go...

now if only the DRM issue was solvable!

8. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I'm with you there Clyde. I recently decided that downloading music through less legitimate means was a bit risky these days so I had a look at iTunes. A ten track album would be £8.00. That's the same as buying a CD from CD-Wow with free P & P :blink ! I suppose it only works out a good deal if you buy singles (which I don't) and you don't mind not having the B-sides (which i wouldn't if it meant paying 80p instead of between £2 and £5 for a chart single).

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  9. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

baba, if you're prepared to wait a few months from a new release you can often get it cheaper than that in the shops too...

and don't get me started on the fact that I Cant buy tunes for 89 cents from itunes us... bloody shysters!

10. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I saw a program that you leave running and it will capture songs off Internet radio stations. You can specify genres or specific songs/artists. Probably not 100% legit but it's less easy to catch you at it than using a P2P network...

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270