Online content filtering

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello everyone.

I am looking into purchasing a piece of software such as Cybernanny to be able to protect a pc from accessing certain sites. This is for a friend of mine who has kids and does not want them to have access to all the the stuff that's available on th web:rolleyes:.

If anyone has any recommendations as to what is good. He doesn't mind paying for it.

I already have a few in mind such as Cybersitter and Cybernanny but I am not sure if they are any good.

Thanks again.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

BSafeOnline is one that Dave Ramsey recommends on his talk show. I've never used it but do have a lot of respect for Dave. Might be another to look into. Here's the link.

http://www.bsafehome.com/?72647

3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If you can't be bothered with setting anything up manually using Squid etc (an excellent learning experience, but frustrating and time-consuming for the noob) my Brother-in-law uses K9 - acquired last year by Bluecoat but they are committed to continuing to proivde a free service

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. mad_maxx

mad_maxx Bit Poster

If you wanted to save him some money, you could always try and see whether content advisor fulfills your friend's requirements. It is built into Windows/IE and you can configure different levels of filtering.

I have to admit that I wasn't particularly impressed with it, however you friend may have different requirements to mine.

To get to it, within Internet Explorer go to tools->internet options->content. There is a whole section on content advisor etc.

Certifications: MCSE:Messaging
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does your friends PC run Vista? If so you could use the parental controls. :biggrin

6. Softix

Softix Bit Poster

If you are concerned about internet content, I guess most of the web browsers today have an option to block certain type of content and sites. Just open your preferred browser and look for the options menu. I don't think you need another software to block content when you can do it by using your browser preferences.

7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Umm. Mainly because the browser settings are not fit for purpose? Most browsers dont actually stop you accessing websites (correct me if im wrong here guys, but i certainly cant find any settings for it in FF). Even if they did, the requirement is for a solution that limits what pages the users can access. In this case, the parents want to stop the kids accessing inappropriate material. Therefore, they need a solution that cant be easily circumvented by the children in question.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

9. billythekid

billythekid New Member

I found that the content filtering offered by opendns.com works well.

This is also free :)

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: MCSA, CCENT
  10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes I would have said opendns too, as long as you keep the router pw and opendns pw safe then I think it might be a great little option.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing