One HDMI Port and Two Screens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ad, Sep 14, 2014.

1. ad

ad Bit Poster

Hello all. My Dad has a PC with one HDMI output and we need it connected to both the PC's monitor and a TV which is in the next room. He doesn't need a dual screen setup, he just needs to see content on the TV via the PC without having to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. So what is seen on the PC monitor is also seen on the TV at the same time.

I have the HDMI cables and one successfully connected to the TV in the next room but we were wondering how to achieve the above.

Would we need a splitter? So one signal is sent from the PC to the splitter and then it splits that signal to the TV and monitor? These seem to be £18 upward inc. delivery.

Or ideally price wise an Estone 1x HDMI Male To HDMI Female Y Switch Splitter Dual Adapter Converter Cable? Amazon £3.79 inc. delivery.

We need both audio and video from the HDMI, would either quality be degraded at all?

Many thanks.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Estone-Fema...&qid=1410806540&sr=8-7&keywords=hdmi+splitter

Something like this should do what you need

- - - Updated - - -

The other option I guess though, I presume the PC screen will be next to the PC, therefore could you have this connected to your graphics card on a dvi connection or vga (on the assumption that your graphics card has these outputs as well as the hdmi)?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. ad

ad Bit Poster

Hi shadowwebs, thanks that cable was the one I was looking at instead of a splitter box like Duronic or Neet because they are £15 to £20 more expensive and I would need to get a third HDMI cable.

There is a VGA port on the PC but the monitor is HD and has inbuilt speakers so ideally we would like it to connect to the HDMI port on the PC as it we would get HD quality and sound.

My concern with the Estone adapter is it says "ONLY 1 output device should be active at any time", this may be a problem as sometimes both the TV and monitor might use the same HDMI signal. I'll research anyway and see.

4. jamin100

jamin100 Byte Poster

I recently brought a usb3 to dvi/VGA adapter for my work laptop and it's brilliant. Cost less than £40 and handles 1080p

WIP: 70-680
  5. adam9

adam9 Bit Poster

Glad to hear that's working out for you. Had the same problem here and the estone splitter adapter was a piece of junk, don't buy it. But I found an affordable duronic splitter box and that did the trick. Oh but you have to get a 3rd HDMI cable one from PC to box, then two from box to both screens.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014