Onboard vs card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gaz 45, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Just wondering people's opinion: :hhhmmm
    Basically, I'm thinking whether to use the onboard sound from my mobo or the soundcard I own. The card's a Videologic SonicFury (aka Turtle Beach Santa Cruz) circa 2002 whilst the onboard is the typical AC97 type thingy you find on a mobo (It's a nForce2 Asus A7N8X circa 2004 if that helps).

Currently I'm using the card and have disabled the onboard.

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Depends on the rest of your PC spec I suppose, and how much you want to drain your CPU.

If your games are high quality high depth sound, then stick with your card. The onboard soundcard will be a much bigger drain on your CPU.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Mate go for Creative...when I buy a mobo that comes with onboard sound (which they all do!!) I always get a Creative Soundcard...for me they are the business!! since u got a soundcard from 2002...you should be able to find a creative one from that era (ooh er!!) or even later that will be compatible with the mobo...but as I say card all the way mate...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

Excellent point Arroryn, didn't think about that!

Noel, usually do go for Creative but at the time that card had the best performance/price point - it's probably due an upgrade soon anyway, at which point it's Creative all the way! :rocks

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just a daft question i spose. When installing a graphics card, is there anything i need to do other than installing the driver then putting the card in , or are there jumper settings and does any glitches that you all know of make the screen go a yellow tint, or would that be a hardware error

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

If your asking why your screen has a gone a yellow tint after an install then try reseating your gfx card and checking your monitor is firmly plugged into it.
    Does the yellow tint only appear once Windows is loaded?
    Check the right driver is installed.
    Might be worth trying another monitor.

I would then think about replacing the card.

Neall

WIP: A+
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

cheers for that, i went round and hed not pt the card in right , but all is done now cheers .

Does anyonw know of a site that breaks down every component in the bits of a computer. I mean like a picture of a graphics card with detailed stuff on what everything does ?

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

am sure there is mate...just google it...funny thing really and totally off topic but when I was with my ex-fianceé, our shower was on the blink (or was it the boiler?) cant remember...anyway someone wanted the model name of the product...so muggins searches on google and finds a link to a site that has a diagram of the product broken to pieces highlighting what each part was and what they did...so I am sure there will be a site for the likes of graphics cards mate...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life