On the routing part of my ICND1 book? what router to use, so many recommendations?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Beany, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

Morning,

What router can i use? CBT Nuggets recommends 851/871 but these routers are too expensive and above my budget.

What are the cheaper alternatives? 2500? 2600? Will these routers be good enough for my ICND1 study?

I have a 837 router free from work, can i use this?

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

got a spare 2503 router at work that i can use too.. will 2503 router suffice?

2. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Morning,
    A 2503 would be ok although i believe you would need a transceiver to use the AUI ethernet port. You also want more than one router to study routing.
    While it is good to physically practise with Cisco kit you can do pretty much everything you need for CCNA with Packet tracer / GNS3 and you also have the benefit of building labs with loads of kit.

Certifications: MCITP:EA, CCNA
  3. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

ive got the cisco packet tracer software but i'd rather use live equipment instead.

4. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

Fair enough, i learnt on 1841s with serial modules in.

5. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

price for a 1841s?

6. mcbro

mcbro Byte Poster

I think you can get them for about £100 on ebay. I was lucky to be given them by a customer who was getting rid of them.

7. Beany

Beany Bit Poster

so mcbro,

if i was to get the 2503 and a transceiver to use the AUI ethernet port plus the 837 router, would be fine for my routing study on CCENT?

8. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I would just go for a 2600 series.

I bought two 2500's a year or two ago, and the Transceivers alone cost more than the routers.

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  9. BraderzTheDog

BraderzTheDog Kilobyte Poster

Jeeze dont pay through the roof for icnd1 routers.

My lab consisted of 3 x 2610 routers with wic1t cards for want simulation. Make sure you also have a swicth, i would recomend the 2950 catalyst.

All in all a ccna lab will set you back £100.

Just search ccna lab on ebay, plenty of people sell the exact kit i just specified.

I would also recommend packet tracer if you can get hold of it or gns3 which is open source software tyat emulates the cisco IOS.

Good luck on your cisco journey!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA-SEC, CCSA, JNCIA FWV, MCITP, MCTS, MTA, A+