OMG! This can't be...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by millsie, Mar 9, 2010.

1. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Hi.

I was 1 of the 1132 probably :)
    I applied for a couple of jobs already, no answer yet:(
    Tweak my CV weekly, and i try to apply in the first day.
    And i think that could be important as no HR manager or Recruitment agency read through 1100+ CV.
    So only 2 option left they read the first 50.
    Or they use a software to find the right word, and they pick the best match.
    Or combine these.
    So i think if you have the right CV, you post it on time, you can beat the others i mean at least get shortlisted.
    Maybe i am wrong because did not happened yet:)
    But that is my tactic.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Whenever I see more than 200 applications for one job I always think that many of these applicants are not suitable for that job. Could be that some of them on that day applied for administrative jobs as well or teaching jobs... Everyone needs job to pay bills and they will apply EVERYWHERE they can esspecially if it is entry level job as a high level of expertise is not required.. But of course there are lots of suiteble people as well - but not all of them who applied are. I have recently applied for entry level job on Reed and it was 270+ applications there already! But that didn't discourage me to not to apply. Do I hope for a good result? - Maybe, just maybe.
    I believe that only possible way to get results from job search is to ask someone who knows me. With just applying online I don't think something will come up soon. That's why I asked for opportunity at my college so will see what happens next.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When I was reviewing resumes for my replacement at my last job, I received close to 200 resumes. I believe we interviewed only 4... and I personally knew one of them. The other 180+ of them never stood a chance.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

How were these 4 selected?

5. BosonMichael

By:
    1) being qualified for the position (not necessarily certified, but that helps)
    2) having reasonable salary expectations
    3) having a well-written resume

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

and only 4 met the criteria?

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  7. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Was all 200+ CVs searched through?

8. BosonMichael

Only 4 met those criteria, yep.

Yep. And I gave each rejected one the proper amount of time: enough seconds to know that that's not the employee we're looking for.

9. Mr_Cellophane

Mr_Cellophane Nibble Poster

I had an interview today. The manager said that he received 100 e-mails the first day. He went through them basically on first glance with out reading them. So you need to make sure your CV layout is neat.
    There was also a small test, about 12 multiple choice questions to do before we had our chat. He said some people were only getting 1 or 2 correct. These weren't difficult questions, certainly not for a senior support role ie which of these protocols isn't routable ? What is a trunked LAN ?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDST, MCNE, PRINCE 2 and ITIL
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  10. BosonMichael

You'd be surprised how many don't know the answers when they're not spelled out for them on braindumps. It's sad, really.

11. Mr_Cellophane

Must admit one stumped me

From a PC you can ping the PC IP address, but can't ping 127.0.0.1, the gateway or a machine on another VLAN
    is it due to :-
    a) IP not installed correctly
    b) faulty NIC
    and 2 other options related to the IP address and mask which I discounted.

I put (a) but I now think that was the wrong answer

12. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

IP stack failure and need tcp/ip reinstalled.

This is about the only question i will have a chance of answering on here and this is because it is in the network+ which i am currently studying :)

I hope someone can correct me as i have just read the part in the book and it says you would ping the loopback address first, then the nic.

Better get back to studying

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  13. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Just want to say to the original poster, perseverance is the key, don't be disheartened by hearing massive numbers applying to a job... if you stick with it, one day your ship will come in!

I must have applied for hundreds of jobs over the 2 years roughly I was trying to break into IT, probably 3 or 4 job applications a week, aswell as work and studying every night towards my certifications...

The job which I got, had about 200 applicants i think, they interviewed about 10 people, and chose me for some reason :D despite me never having even worked in IT before!

So the best advice I can give is

i) Sstick with it!!!

ii) Make your CV the best that it can be, I'm sure anyone who has recruited people before will tell you that all CVs get nothing more than a cursory glance when they have loads, 90% go in the bin, so you really have to make it a high impact CV to stand a chance

iii) be yourself - its as much about being qualiified as being able to fit in with the people there and get on, so if you get an interview, trying to make a connection with the interview panel is important - if you dont really like them, then you may not like working with them so it works both ways!

Hope that helps :)

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  14. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Thanks for this mate. It does help when you hear stories like this, I really hope I dont have to wait 2 years though, I havent got the patience!!

Seriously though, i am currently on a CCNA course, and I do fear sometimes that I am completely wasting my time/money studying a technical subject like this. It seems everyone and their mother wants to get into IT, and it's just typical of me to be interested and want to get into something that everybody else wants to do, having already failed to make something of myself in another career! I still cannot believe that with practically every company that exists having some form of network, even just a small one, that the industry can be so full of people all wanting to do the same thing. Why is it so popular? It used to be only interesting to geeks! lol!

Anyways, I appreciate it, I will keep trying too early to give up on this. I will complete my CCNA, get the MCDST and along with my N+ will persist as long as I can!

Cheers bud

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  15. dr_fmj

dr_fmj Bit Poster

I second that! Great advice! Companies look for the employee internally first it seems.

16. Taurus

Taurus New Member

yeah it is pretty tough out there, been applying for 1.5 years now...and nothing not even a single interview.

Certifications: x
    WIP: x
  17. matt645

matt645 Bit Poster

For what it's worth here's my experience:

I'm a 2nd line (bordering 3rd line) support guy with 7 years experience working with the MoD and other government agencies, every role I've had has been as a contractor.

I've been looking for work since Christmas and even though I'm getting interviews the competition is fierce so I've yet to land role. Although you may not want to hear this my advice would be to take whatever job you can in any field and just be patient, almost every company out there is struggling to keep their existing staff busy let alone take on new ones. I've seen an IBM AIX server guy doing 1st line call logging role in my last contract, says it all about the current state of the market. :cry:

I fear the industry will never recover to the boom times but some sort of normality is on the horizon so it's only a mater of time, there's no point in beating yourselves up over jobs that are so few and far between you stand little chance of getting.

18. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I only saw this today , catching up because of move, I just had to laugh.

There are people heaps more qualified than me, in a lot of ways, working in cafes, cleaning etc etc. In a recession when you got a mortgage and bills to pay you take any job to pay the bills first and then worry about your career path later after you have the money coming back in.

Also in IT esp London you'll have alot of people that have just come into the country looking for work.

The IT industry is still in recovery it okay but not doing brilliantly at the moment. I know at least four IT project managers still struggling to find work they're applying for anything IT related.

Building industry is still dead :(

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  19. Mr_Cellophane

Know how you feel, I have been out of work since November. I have applied for over 400 jobs since then and had less than a dozen interviews. I am thinking of giving up with IT completely.

20. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yes i agree

recovery will happen in waves across different industries, the same way they were hit but almost in reverse. Many businesses will have to recover and other aspects of business recover before they start spending on IT infrastructure or expanding.

In a way IT tends to be one of the first things to be hit and the last to recover. Its funny because one would think that a companies data and communications should take priority, you know how it is?

The last industry to recover will probably be the construction industry see more of these jobs and you know things are really getting better.

Put it on hold may be , but dont give up.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots