OMG - HARDWARE 2003 OBJECTIVES

Discussion in 'A+' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Mar 20, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

HARDWARE 220-301 OMG!!:ohmy

Today I sat my exam for A+ Hardware 2003 objectives.
    The exam was scheduled for 10:30 AM.
    I arrived at the test at 10am to find the door was locked! WTF! I thought, then I noticed this big sign above stating they had changed the entrance to the other side of the building.:oops:

Thoughts were racing through my mind, what if I fail this, what if I panic and forget the material I have spent months cramming into my brain.

They said since this is your first exam your better off taking the practice exam. OK I thought, the questions where on Astrology, I couldn’t believe it, here I am expecting practice question on Computers and they ask which planet has rings around it?

In the exam I took my time to read every question while keeping a close eye on the time, any question I wasn’t sure on (such as those customer service question and health and safety questions) I marked for review.

At the end of the exam I had 32 minutes left to review my questions, before clicking on end test button.

OMG!!! I PASSED!!:ohmy :biggrin

I stood up and did my little dance and then noticed the other candidates staying at me in the room, I slowly and quietly moved to my chair.

I remember reading somewhere that you must print a copy of your results as proof that you passed. Anyway, after clicking on the print button, I was just about to hit the exit button when I had this strange feeling that something was wrong . I checked with the test centre to see if my results had been printed.

OH NO! :shocked

The printer had jammed, it was a laser printer, the paper got jammed inside where the pick up rollers are. The girl behind the desk, said sorry I cant’ print your results, do you remember what your score was?????

Oh Heck I forgot to look at that!:silly

I only saw the word Pass, Hmmm can’t you print it from another printer? No she replied there’s only one printer setup from the exam room.

Aaaaaah! I thought, can you fix it I asked?

No she said I don’t know anything about printers!

Can I have a look I said, after switching off the power and removing the toner cartridge I managed to free the jammed pieces of paper. I asked do I get extra points for fixing the printer??

She laughed and said it’s just as well you did pass that exam otherwise I wouldn’t of let you near the printer!

Luckily the results screen was still displayed in the exam room and I managed to get 3 copies of my results. One is signed and dated by the test centre. :biggrin

Here it is

I passed with a score of 679. I spent most of my day, in a daze, saying I passed over and over in my head. I just can’t believe it what a feeling!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Lol mate, what a story! I actually read through it seriously thinking the worst until that last bit. :)

Congrats mate, you deserved the pass! :D:D:D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Wow - congratulations! :cheers
    And you got a practical test thrown in which you also passed!

Go to the top of the class!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You Da Man.... erm... monkey! :clap :thumbleft :slidedrin

5. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks - simongrahamuk, nXPLOSi and Harry for your support and kind words. What a day it has been, I glad I took the day off work. The shock is over and it is just beginning to set in that I have passed.
    I am going to chill out for a while:biggrin

6. donpisci

donpisci Bit Poster

Well done mate! Gave me a good laugh because I just know thats the sort of thing that would happen to me!

What sort of depth did the questions go into? I've just started my A+ and unsure as to how much detail to go into.

Thanks!

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: Diploma in Business Analysis
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks mate!

I guess your doing A+ 2006 objectives? Which books are you using?

You know I was surprised what sort of questions they asked, most of them were customer questions and COSHH type questions.

I made sure I learn't IRQ, I/O and DMA channels, I learn't all the CPU sockets, Networks and cables, as well as PCI and ISA buses. I found the question were geared towards customer service and health and safety. I was surprised by the lack of hardware question in there like:-

How many 30 pin simm memory blocks do you need with a 486 processor?

well a 486 CPU is 32 bits, a 30 pin simm is 8 bits. So the answer is 4 (4x8 =32 bits).

Anyway, good luck with your studies!:biggrin

8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well done on the pass, but I wouldn't have worried about the printing thing. The pass is electronically registered via the test vendor to CompTIA. The piece of paper you get it just FYI really.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Congrats on the pass, and excellent score (exactly the same as mine when i did it:)) When you doing the OS exam then?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. donpisci

donpisci Bit Poster

I am- just started the A+ Essentials with advent. At the moment, I'm just usng the study guide from them.

I'm unsure if I would need to know about all of the details of the 3 layers of the PCIe, and that sort of detail.

Thanks for the help!

Certifications: BSc (Hons)
    WIP: Diploma in Business Analysis
  11. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

:ohmy :eek: :dry :hhhmmm :clap :cheers :beers2 :alc

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  12. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations, didn't you just hate the bit at the end when you have to fill out the survey when all you want is to know if you've passed.

Best of luck with the next one :thumbleft .

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  13. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Fantastic news and congratulations..:D

Certifications: A+ Network+
  14. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I would recommend using the A+ mike meyers book and the exam cram 2 website. Once you sign up you get free exam papers to practice on and quiz of the day sent to your email address.:biggrin

15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mick, I was just pouring myself a large cold beer from the fridge when you posted the question.

[​IMG]

Err I have quite booked my OS exam. I thought I'd wait to see if I passed the the hardware exam. Now I have I will book it for the end of April. Just hope I get time off work.:biggrin

Oh and some other good news is, my employers said if i keep the receipts and show my certificate they will refund me the exam fees:biggrin

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mondos. I like your avatar - it's cool!!! Where did you get it from?

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Mal for your support and advice in my hour of need:rocks :thumbleft

18. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass :clap

Crack on with the O/S next and the A+ cert will be all yours. :biggrin