Old posts

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by supernova, Oct 26, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Someone had a go at me a while back fore contributing to a old post.

My reply to that was other people may read the thread in the future, that is the point of archiving threads is it not?

This got me thinking how many people use the "search" feature of forums?

why not search for answers before making a new thread?

It amuses me how many people ask the same questions again and again on forums especially here

training companies, self study, books, which cert to start with etc

all questions that have been asked hundreds of times with the same answers as replies.

why?... is it because we are lazy at researching?

As someone who is involved in such services user habits interest me

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I always thought it was "standard" forum etiquette not to open old threads ?

Certainly has been on other forums I've belonged to (some even put it in their "rules").

I think generally this is because it's better to start from new and reference the older post as, chances are, things have changed since the original was made if some time ago.

The gaming forum I belong to also suffers from people not using the search function, particularly for technical issues and we've also found they can't even be bothered to look in a forum called "Tutorials" either so that doesn't solve it ! :p

Generally I tend to put it down to laziness. My observations also tend to show a different attitude amongst age groups - older tend to search more and be more polite, - younger tend to be more in your face and expect everything to be dished up in front of them (or maybe it's me just getting older and falling into Grumpy Old Man mode !).

People also can't seem to be bothered to post in the right sections or sub-forums either.

I'd better shut up now or this will turn into a right old rant ! :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

I open old threads, i don't see it as a bad thing. I don't see the point in opening a new thread if one already exists

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  4. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Yeah I know where you coming from and this certainly has been abused in the past with people trying to get there old posts back in action or hijacking a thread. However, i don't see anything wrong especially if you answering or helping, keeping the thread relevant and complete. Not that i feel i want/need to that often.

Thanks for sharing your findings with regards to age groups ... All interesting stuff

I know i am guilty of this sometimes.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I use the search feature quite often, I find the advanced search is better to use than the standard search. As for opening old threads if they were not to be read then they would be deleted after a certain amount of time as on other forums.

Replying to a very old thread is probably pointles as the OP will have gotten his/her point across or had their issue dealt with but there's no harm in reading an old thread imo. I do it all the time.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well i they shouldn't of had a go at you for that, maybe if the information was old and completely pointless, but even then, members normally don't have ago at someone for that unless their one of those Keyboard warriors!:rolleyes:

:hhhmmm you've got to look ata this from all the angles:-

1) people do ask the same questions, but that could because they are new, can't find the thread or do know how to use the functions of this forum!

2) I have been told in polite terms that some of my threads has already been raised before! Now this is because when I did a search nothing came up in the results. that's the problem, you have to put the exact keywords you want. Just like Google if you don't know which words to use when making a search you often don't find what your looking for!

So how do you know which correct set of keywords to use in a search to find a particular thread or post. you don't it's trail and error!

3) it's better to ask the question, I 'd rather someone ask me the same question (such as a newbie) then not ask a question! After all this is a forum, people come here for help and advice and they can't do that unless they communicate with us!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

One of the things that I first came across when I joined this forum was that newbies asking questions that have already been answered countless times were treated with respect and time was taken to either retype the usual replies or point them towards another post.

This is one of the big reasons I stay around here, I used to fear pressing the New Thread button (Mainly due to Bluerinses avatar! :biggrin) but that never seems to be a problem on this forum and that should be applauded.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  8. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

I usually search for previous threads and reviving them if i had something to add as i see no point opening a new thread to be told exactly the same thing

It's people who open new threads before searching the old that annoy me

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well said:rocks

rep left:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

:twisted:If you had bothered to search the forum you would find that this question has also been asked and answered several times already.:twisted:

Joking aside, I think it's generally related more to laziness of people.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685