1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Exam Books/Tests/Materials still useful?

Discussion in 'A+' started by inprogress, Feb 15, 2013.

1. inprogress

inprogress New Member

Hi guys, I am a future A+ Test taker, having never took the test. I am also trying to read the material and take the test sans instructional courses as I have been working a desktop support job for 1.5 years as well as several years contracting in I.T.

My question is, will these 2009 Books/Tests/Materials be of use in the 2012-2013 Year of exams? The latest info they have on O/S is up to Windows Vista. Windows 7 is only mentioned as planned for release.

Does the current test cover Windows 7/8 or should I buy a book flat out that deals with the additional information?

All these practice tests I have been taking cover more of the RAM/Processor Architecture/Networking (albeit VERY rudimentary)

Is the test very fundamental?

Having only read thru the first 5 chapters I made a 70% on the 701 exam.

Should I skip around and try to get the "big picture" or continue reading at a slow rate? Its killing me because as soon as i get this A+ cert out of the way, I can enter an actual school to get the rest of my education started.

Thanks in advance,
    work in progress.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. mo_jax

mo_jax New Member

You can still take the 701 & 702 A+ exams through August, if I'm not mistaken.

With that said, I'm the majority of your studying thus far has been with the older material, I say keep the course that you are going. My job is still running XP. I believe that it will be around for a while, and it still needs to be supported.

Unless you're doing it to gain knowledge in the newer OS's, then going ahead in upgrade.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. inprogress

inprogress New Member

Do you mean that after august they are implementing new sets of tests? 701 and 702 will no longer be available? Does 701 and 702 only cover material up to xp/vist <- this is more what im worried about.

4. mo_jax

mo_jax New Member

In August, 701 & 702 will no longer be available.

You are right. 701 & 702 only covers up to Vista. I just passed the 701-702 a couple of weeks ago, and you should be fine. Get ahold of Cram Exam and some other practice exams.

5. hus88am

hus88am New Member

I hope this would help .

youtu.be/eb2MIuQ9H-g?t=50m34s
    just add the www. ( they won't let me put ant URLs)

6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Sceritz

Sceritz Bit Poster

so of the 701 and 702 are going to be out the window, then what replaces them?

*EDIT* ah Nevermind... I see that 801 and 802 replaces them. How comprehensive would it be to study from two different resources (one for the 700's and one for the 800's?)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013