Old CCNA books vs new CCNA books

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by stateless, Oct 28, 2007.

1. stateless

stateless Bit Poster

From what I can see, the revised exams has included wireless media, configuration and security.

I brought Wendell Odom's (Cisco Press) CCNA books 640-811 + 640-821 back alittle while. Now those exams will be shortly retired, would these books be be sufficent to get me through the new revised CCNA exams? Although I haven't seen any updated books myself, it would be a shame and a waste of money if I was going to buy an almost exact copy of the books I presently own barring an extra chapter. If this is the case, I would rather source the wireless information needed from the net (or another viable source) and put the extra cash to more hardware.

Your views would be greatly appriecated.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I can't say for sure.

But I would think newer is better.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. HMSPresident

HMSPresident Bit Poster

I used Wendell Odom's CCNA Cert Library, good books..

AFAIK, the fundamental changes are;
    -remove ISDN
    -add basic wireless, e.g. difference between 802.11a, b, g, n, basic security..

Depending how they weight the selection, I guess you could potentially get all 'old' questions as there's so few changes..

Certifications: See sig..
    WIP: BCMSN
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there,

I would read through your current books and grab a CCNA test prep book or a Transcender test. If you still score 90% then you'll *probably* be safe to give it a whirl.

However, if you're at all worried, £48 for two more books is a lot cheaper than a resit on an exam. (Amazon page is for CCENT/CCNA ICND1 exam - just further down is the 'buy these two books together' bundle with the ICND2 guide)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

stateless,

The book for the 640-821 is designed to lead the "student" towards taking and passing the INTRO exam. The book for the 640-811 is designed to lead the "student" towards taking and passing the ICND exam. They were never designed to lead the "student" towards taking and passing the next exam. Therefore, from a design perspective, no they will not completely lead you to take and pass the 640-802 CCNA generation of exams. Yes, from a material standpoint there may be some common overlaps but just passing the common overlap sections of the 640-802 CCNA generation of exams may not lead to you passing the ICND1, ICND2, or 640-802 CCNA exams. If you're concerned about waste of money that you spent on the 640-821 and 640-811 books, then take and pass those exams or at least one of them before 06NOV2007 so the "investment" you made on those books will have a return on investment. Unfortunately, if you don't take and pass both the INTRO or ICND exams then you will realise that the investment you made in either one or both of the books will have a return on investment of 0.00 monetary units.

Also, the new generation of Cisco Press Self-study books have equipment lists and lab work in them to help "realize" the concepts they're trying to present. Also, the current books should be designed to help lead you to take and pass the WHOLE exam(s) and not just the common parts.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. stateless

stateless Bit Poster

Interesting read. Unfortunately I won't get a chance to take the exams before the 6th Nov.
    I still need a little more confidence playing around with the routers. As from the readign side, I am not too bad but need to address a couple of weakenesses.

Assuming the wireless information needed is similar to the N+ study material, the only thing I think may be different would be the security aspects.

Certifications: A+ N+ MCP
    WIP: CCNA
  7. GW

GW Byte Poster

I got a copy of the new Sybex book and the older Cisco Press 811, 821 and three things that pop out at me from just looking at the contents is Security Device Manager (SDM); Cisco Wireless Technologies, and the chapter on IPv6. I'm sure if you dig deeper in the books there will be additional things.

I would suggest getting the Sybex or Cisco Press book for the new exam and use the other two books as reference material, typically when I go after an exam I buy a couple other books to help me out (of course I have two large book cases full of computer books that I use as reference, many times I look up something in one of the other books and get more details or it is explained in a different way that makes it more understandable.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  8. onslaught82

onslaught82 New Member

Check out **** for all the study materials you will need to master the ccna concepts