Old ASUS Motherboard problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itbookham, Dec 2, 2007.

1. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Hi,

I am configuring an old ASUS P5A-B Motherboard. For the life of me, I cannot work out where the POWER LED plug sits on the motherboard connectors.

The POWER LED has two wires - white and green - the motherboard book says one should connect to +5V and the other to Ground? Doesn't the white wire though mean -5V?

I have worked out where pin 1 is. Does not the industry standard delegate the lowest pin numbers to coloured wires, and black or white wires to the higher pin numbers? So, for example, if you have two wires - red and black, the red wire would connect to a lower pin number than the black wire?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

WIP: A+
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Go with what your motherboard manual says. From memory all power LEDS are +5V

If you reverse bias (get the wires round the the wrong way) a 5V LED it wont pass current hence wont light up.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

itbookham,

Check out the following link for the ASUS P5A-B Pentium(r) Super7 Motherboard User's Manual. Look at PDF page 11 for the overall map of the motherboard, PDF page 12 for the location for the "front panel" on the diagram's bottom right corner, then PDF page 31 for the pins that represent the "System Power LED."

Yes, you should connect the positive power LED wire/connector to the "+5V" pin and the negative power LED wire/connector to the "GND" pin. No, the white wire doesn't mean -5V.

Based on my experience in the industry, there is no direct relationship between pin number and wire colors. Therefore, the red wire doesn't necessarily go to the lower pin number and the black wire doesn't necessarily go to the higher pin number. What you need to do is to first identify the wire color that's common among all of the front panel wires. That common colored wire should be the "ground wire." So if all of the front panel wire pairs have a white color, then the white colored wire is the "ground wire." In the case of the "POWER LED", you'd connect that common colored wire/connector to the "GND" pin. Then connect the other colored wire for the "POWER LED" to the "+5V" pin.

Source:
    1. ASUS P5A-B Pentium(r) Super7 Motherboard User's Manual - http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/ali/p5a-b/p5ab-107.pdf

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. itbookham

itbookham Nibble Poster

Thanks for the information.

WIP: A+