Okay, time to stop lurking......

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Arroryn, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I know I said I wouldn't post until I passed my N+ but, well, Arroryn, she has a job interview, and she's a little nervous.

I sent my CV for a junior IT support role, and they want to interview me for supervisor instead, based on the amount of customer service experience I've had.

The job spec is along the lines of 50/50 IT/Customer Service.

I can talk the talk enough with customer service, to convince them to let me walk the walk with their company. But based on the job role, what now should I be prepared to answer, with regards to technically based questions? For the junior role, I was going to swot up on my A+ books, but for a supervisory role, should I be identifying which problems need to be escalated? Should I need to know my DNS, DHCP, all that kind of thing, when there'll be a network team?

I just don't want to have a barrage of the wrong answers when I get there! :oops:

Also: hi guys :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Welcome back.:D What to swot up on largely depends on if, as a supervisor you are expected to know more than your underlings or if it's purely a people management role. For example, my boss has just started, he has no technical experience at all (think Dilbert's Pointy-Headed boss) but he is very good at the managerial thing.

Good luck anyway.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello Arroryn and Welcome back:biggrin

As for the interview, just be yourself, open and honest is the best policy, yes you will have to sell yourself, but don't lie to get the job. 8)

They must of given you a job spec and profile, put yourself in their shoe's what would you ask someone if you were the company:-

Are you a team worker? Can you priotise your work, time management skills, work as individual to get the job done. Flexiable. These are all core skills needed, as for IT, they will probably ask you to give anexample where you setup a network or delgated work or how did you rebuild a PC.

Good Luck!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Say what you know and most importantly sound enthusiastic.

Good luck to you!:biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Arroryn,

Welcome back! :biggrin

The only thing i would add, is, assuming you are going for a job with another company, swot up on what they *do*.

I would try and be yourself.
    If they do ask you something you don't know, say that you aren't sure but are not afraid to ask a colleague or find the answer yourself.

Best of luck. :thumbleft

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Most people will not want to make you feel embarrassed and uncomfortable by asking direct questions which you may not know the answer to. It's no fun for the Interviewer or the interviewee to be seen floundering and lost for words. So this is unlikely to happen.

You will find that they ask questions in a way that allows you to tell them what you do know. This is so that they can gauge your experience and knowledge, also so they can see if you are willing and able to learn more.

Good luck, just relax, be yourself and look them in the eye :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Welcome back and good luck :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sorry gal cant offer much help - but Good luck! :thumbleft

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

eye contact is very important in an interview, but dont start giving them dirty looks cuz you never liked the question :twisted:
    seriously though, good luck

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I interviewed one guy for a van drivers job and he never looked me in the eye once. He just sat there staring at the floor. It turned out this guy lacked a lot of self esteem and had very little confidence. He had been on the dole for years and was supporting his family on social security.

I took a chance and offered him the job. Over time his confidence grew and he became a valuable member of our team. Typically, a year or so later he left, went back to the dole because he was financially better off taking hand outs than earning van drivers pay and paying the tax man. Go figure :ohmy

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Not good, obviously all of us (the tax payers) are paying for this guy (and many others) to sit around as he doesn’t want to work, grr! :mad

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. Arroryn

Thanks for all your advice guys :D

Fingers crossed, then. I've written a list of potential questions, or question topics, and I'm relating them to my work experience now. You know, usual suspects like workload prioritisation and dealing with difficult customers.

The drawing board has never looked so full. :eek:

13. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

just remember the 3 P's

Planning
    Preparing
    Post Mortem

14. Arroryn

**bump**

Interview was yesterday, and not as intimidating an experience as I was imagining.

Don't know if I was successful, but I gave the best account of myself as I could. If I am, it'll be second interview jobby. So now, everything is crossed.

*returns to lurking*

15. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Luck Arro!

Sorry, I must have missed this thread before.

Welcome back! :biggrin

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Well, seems a shame you have to Lurk girl?:blink

What's that all about?:dry

Your a valued part of the community here and if you didn't know that already then spending too much time with your head stuck in book. Just because your studying doesn't mean you have to lurk?:rolleyes:

You have to balance these things, besides what the hell is CF for? Eh?

Helping people with their studies and pointing them in the right direction? Personally I think you should post more, but hey that's me!8)

People do notice when your not here, anyway I've had my rant of the day, I'm now going to go outside and have a rant at some muppet who's blocking my driveway:x

Good luck with the job thing and studies:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  17. Arroryn

Fanks UCM :)

I'm only lurking at the moment as I've moved back in with my 'rents, and they have no internet. Yet. So I'm snatching scant moments at work to post, and tings.

In other news:

[​IMG]

I has a second interview. Woot, and all that 8)

18. tune

tune Bit Poster

Did you get the job?

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-299
    WIP: MCSA