okay okay if not MCSD, MCAD then what?

Discussion in 'MCAD / MCSD / MCPD' started by Jacko the Ripper, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Jacko the Ripper

Jacko the Ripper New Member

Okay now i understand that MCSD shouldnt be attempted by me...Take into consideration im ALSO interested in PC repair..is there any other certification that would be useful to me? I've had a lot more 'home' experience in repairing and solving problems with computers (roughly 3 years :( ) would this help atall?

2. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

First I would get an understanding from your parents that you wont be in the workforce for a few years either way [college versus industry certs/obtaining experience etc]

There is no such thing as a quick fix, expecially with a training course on MCAD etc - given your age and lack of experience.

Then I would do bridging units to bring your education back on line for this year, as going off the rails at this point hurts. - I know as I had a poor secondary school result also, and it took many years to claw back and get somewhere as a result.

Then do 3 years at college for an advanced diploma in IT, including A+ and MCSA if possible.

Or, A better option at this point is to get a degree in Science, information technology etc.

Then do the commercial and expensive MCAD/MCSD course when you have the above behind you. Note at this point you still have to get industry experience whatever you do....

Basically you are at the age where you need to nail you schooling well and good - believe me - it is so much harder to get an education going again when you are older.

Just focus on one thing and do it well, ie complete a unit to the best of your abilities and move forward.

This means that sacrifices have to be made, basically give up partying etc....

hope this helps..

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well, if you decide not to go back to school/college then there is always the trusty old CompTia A+. This is a vendor neutral certification that is well respected as a good foundation course for PC hardware. You can follow that with the N+ (network plus). These certs are globally recognised.

Check out the A+ forum on this site to see what others have said about it.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Well, I have to say that you've had some pretty solid advice thus far.

I'm just going to throw into the pan the option of a Modern Apprenticeship - On the Job training, a wage, Academic and Vocational Quals. Worth looking into. You could apply now, and start straight away. If you're still not happy come september head off to college.

8)