Oh No! It's happened!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripwire45, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Computermonkey

Computermonkey Bit Poster

Tripwire45,

Good choice with buying off the shelf. I only built my own because I had the time and wanted to do it, actually wanted to see if I could actually build one, and did! Yippee! I was proud *LOL*

I thought the noise was my HDD too, and didn't want to believe that it was. I still don't want to think that it actually is. I'm not too worried about the stuff on the HDD right now because I just reformatted it and I am still putting things back onto it. I haven't turned it on since I heard the noise, but I will in a few days. I have 4 computers in the house, so I don't think I'll ever go without a computer if one breaks down 8)

Thanks again for welcoming me :D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I suppose if you don't care about the data on that hdd, then there's no worries. You either don't use it or use it until it fails, take the loss, and throw in a new hard drive. Of course, you could consider the whole thing a learning experience and save the poor thing before it goes toes up by backing up your data, but that's your decision. I hate when stuff goes wrong with my home lab but I have to admit, I've learned a lot when it does.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Trip, that's what got me through my A+. In fact, it was only because I asked a mate once, how to upgrade my modem that I ended up on this whole Certification process.

I think "Serendipity" is the word. (By the way, it's also the title of a great John Martyn album)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. Computermonkey

Computermonkey Bit Poster

You are right, Trip. I was thinking about all of those drivers (I hate loading) and all those downloads and considering doing a backup before a disaster. I mentioned getting a new hdd and got this from my husband :roll: I don't care, he has his hobbies and I have mine....he hates computers :roll:

Same here, Jakamoko
    but me it was a memory upgrade, then after that I was hooked and got very interested in computers.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

It's not a hobby...it's an adventure. :D
    What a great idea for a thread in the "Off Topic" forum. Ok, here I go...

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

A-ha !! So that's where you got the idea :P :thumbleft

7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi - just to stick me nose in on this thread, I have built about 4-5 PC's over the years and can say that it is a very rewarding experience. As far as the price goes, well it depends on what components you go for, but nothing beats the "aaaaaah" when you get to the moment when you power on, and see the POST screen chug happily by on your monitor.

My current machine - AMD XP 2200+ with MSI mobo was a breeze to do compared with previous projects - thats not ego talking, but mobo's are so much more 'soft' configurable than they were in the past. You had to mess with DIP switches for clock multipliers and CPU voltage - seems a thing of the past these days.
    Only one piece of advice (IMHO) get a quality mobo. Thats definitely one thing you can't skimp on!

Hope your projects go well..

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Oh no...you didn't revitalize this thing, did you? :eek: I am pretty much past the need to try this project right now. Between work, facing a writing assignment and being really far behind on studying, I don't have time to even think about building a PC. Actually, in my current position, they occasionally scavenge several older PCs for parts and make a new one, so I may get the experience between now and January.

Things are kind of slow at work today. I got rid of most of my "hot items" and those still lying around are waiting for some condition to occur so I can do them (like the user is on vacation or something). I got on a database server and tried to clear out some junk so it would work faster. Turns out it's an outside vendor problem and they're working on it. Caught up on a little paperwork, finished configuring a laptop and loading some specialized software for the user. Replaced a faulty monitor. Went out to install a usb/firewire pci card for a "honcho" but his office door was closed. I asked someone to call when he's ready to let me at his PC. I'm on lunch now but that doesn't mean a thing. Anybody can call or walk in at anytime with a problem and off I go.

I've got one computer in waiting. The user is in meetings all morning long and I need to know about some software she needs moved from the old one to the new, plus some specialized mapped network drives. It'll probably take me all afternoon to get it going and that's when I'll get busy and have to interrupt it. Oh well.

9. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

:( Told you I was sticking me nose in, lol. I'll shutup now..... :snipersm:

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

INDEED YOU WILL NOT, CARTMAN :!: :wink:

That's the essence of this place - we're all in this gig together, so we work and share together, ideas, opinions, views, whatever - how do you think this Thread lasted so long in the first place ?

You jump right in there any time you see fit :)