Oh. My. God.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, May 18, 2007.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But a thesaurus:
    1) doesn't enable you to look better to employers
    2) doesn't enable you to gain a potential career advantage over someone who doesn't use a thesaurus to solve the crossword
    3) doesn't destroy the value of the crossword puzzle for everyone else, especially for those who don't use the thesaurus.

Aside from the absence of career implications with crosswords, using a thesaurus isn't analogous to using a braindump for another reason: a thesaurus can only tell you synonyms; it cannot always tell you what the answers are (such as: "1 Down - movie star in "Sleepless in Seattle"). In contrast, a braindump TELLS YOU EXACTLY what the questions and answers are. Want to know what IS analogous to using a braindump? Solving a crossword puzzle by looking at the answer in the back of the book/newspaper, then copying the answers to the crossword puzzle. :dry

EDIT: Guess I should have looked at Ryan's post before I responded... we answered quite similarly.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I've found that with job interviews the firms usually look at something called a "personality". Now I haven't seen a personality on offer as a braindump and I haven't seen someone offering to do an interview on someone elses behalf! So really I couldn't give 2 hoots about braindumpers and the likes as these people are usually lacking in some other dept that still prevents them from being employed in a decent IT job.

Now those who have a job worthy personality and use braindumps; well I would think that its silly that they would do this as they're obviously mentally equipped to get a job in IT...

They're firms out there that have poor interview techniques and it is usually these sorts of place that the braindumper could bullshit there way into in order to pick up the job skills that NO cert can ever give!

For me, my personality has got me the job, my experience has got me the job but my certs and CV have got me to the interview stage! No firm has ever asked to see my certs...so you may think your certs mean nothing because of braindumpers - well you'll find that your certs mean nothing because 9 times out of 10 it means naff all to the employer! All that matters to them is: can you do the job, have you done it before and can references back up your claims!

Sorry for the yarn but I do think that people should close the lid on this braindumping crap; people have always cheated and they'll continue to cheat...it's the way of the world I'm afraid!

Cheers

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. BosonMichael

Training centers and center employees (mostly in Asia) that are in on the racket... for a cut of the profit, they'll "look the other way".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Jesus guys, you have really missed the point of that one by a mile. You really shouldn't take things quite so literally. :D

It is interesting though what people pick out of things, some people would focus on the positive and some just take the negative from it and rip it to bits.

All totally valid points Michael and Ryan, i'm sure that everyone understands them already though - it's really not necessary to point the differences out out for whatever reason you feel to do so.

It really wasn't my intention to compare a Braindump to a Thesaurus, of course they are extremely dissimilar - i was simply trying to give an example of mindset and a persons reliance on something which provides short term answers at the cost of long term gain.

I wish i'd never bothered now. :D

Certifications: A+,270,271,272 (MCDST)
    WIP: Master CIW
  5. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

I agree totally, all the moaning in the world wont make it stop.

If you know what you're doing then that will be enough and you shouldn't have any reason to feel threatened by the cheaters.

I actually saw an IT job advertised recently which stated clearly in bold that experience will outweigh qualifications.

Employers are not stupid i guess.

:D

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Let's all chill back into what was an otherwise positive and constructive (aka classic CF) discussion. These little "ripples" happen in a post every so often - pointing up the downfall of removing verbal communication and visual stimuli :)

Quarky - everyone who has posted since your thesaurus post believe 100% as you do, and are thoroughly anti-dump. Nothing above is at all personal against you :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I actually liked Quarky's thesaurus analogy, though it may not fit perfectly, it still made me think. Personally, for what it's worth, i prefer to do crosswords without dictionaries or thesauruses :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. BosonMichael

Actually... and unfortunately... some are. That said, you wouldn't really want to work for a stupid employer anyway, would you? 8)

9. BosonMichael

Wasn't attempting to focus on the negative... but neither did I want to see braindumps trivialized by analogizing their use to a harmless activity. :)

No harm, no foul. For what it's worth, your point of someone using a crutch to help them perform their task is quite valid, and I agree with you to that degree. It's similar to using a subnet calculator instead of learning how to subnet... some techs would be completely lost trying to subnet without their crutch to "tell them the answer". :)

10. Quarky

Quarky Byte Poster

Yeah i agree, i suppose that get a bit knarked when the posts go 'off topic' and poor old harmless analogies get attacked.

Long live harmless analogies !

:D :D

11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

All you need is a dodgy Pearson VUE testing centre.
    You bung someone to take the exam, and they bung the testing centre something in order to skip the formalities.

Testing generates no income for the test centre - so if someone offered £50 a time to sit a few exams per week, I'm sure there would be takers...

Even if they aren't actually evil, I've tested in many places. Sometimes they ask for ID, sometimes they don't. Sometimes a stranger comes in and logs on with the invigilator's ID. Sometimes you leave the exam early and find the invigilator isn't actually there keeping an eye on you.

Although 'technically' the exams are secure - at every level it depends on the honesty and reliability of normal people. And that's normally where things start to go wrong...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Perhaps there will come a time when the candidate can only sit the exam when they have attended an "approved" training centre -Oracle already do this. Even then, it wouldn't prevent someone else sitting the exam for you.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

I would laff chunks if the inpersonator actually failed :twisted:

- especially if exam insurance allowed a re-sitting of the exam....

:blink :twisted: :dry

- "Hey wasnt your hair longer, where'nt you several inches shorter, and where'nt you female last week..." [snigger]

:twisted: :biggrin :blink

Also on the subject of personality a candidate must be able to explain the importance of "42" in an exam situation !! 8)

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

DONT PANIC

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Where? I havent seem him in the forums for ages...:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  16. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I heard the place he used to hang around has really gone downhill since the new guy took over. :tongue

17. BosonMichael

ZING!!! :p